Engine Hrs (mph) how important? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Engine Hrs (mph) how important?

In my quest for a relatively lower mileage 06-07 PSD, I consider as much historical info about a truck that I can find: owner/dealer comments, OASIS, service records, usage, location (road salt), etc. etc, and of course engine MPH (idle time)! I understand that 30 MPH seems to be the generally accepted minimum (more the better, i.e. less idle time). Some of the trucks I am looking at have 32-43k miles/35 40 MPH (good), and a few have 14-17k miles but have 24-26 MPH engines (not so good). So, should I always pass on the higher MPH/idle time trucks (less than 30 MPH)? or would you still consider a very low mile truck (14-17k with a 24-26 MPH engine) given that the TOTAL engine time/wear on the low mileage truck may in fact be less than a truck with 32- 43k/35-40 MPH ? Heck, what about the 32-37k/24-26MPH truck? Thanks folks for your opinions! (For the MODS, if this belongs in the 6.0 forum, by all means, move/re-post.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The higher the idle time, the longer that motor has been running without a proper load applied to it, and its an artificial mileage when you start talking an average 26 mph, compared to engine hours.

Diesels are not really intended to run at idle for extended periods of time and remain in good working order. One thing is the additional carbon build up in the intake and EGR systems of these trucks which lead to issues. The turbos do not get cycled properly to help prevent sticking. All of which cause issues with the 6.0L, it has to get worked under a load or WOT continuously to work correctly.

The biggest thing to look at if on the high-idle truck would be to see if the maintenance was done to the truck per the heavy service guidance (exp: Oil every 5K miles/XX engine hours, I don't have the manual with me so I'll try to get the hours later). If they followed that, you should be ok. But I would look the truck over very closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine hours, engine hrs, idle time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.