05 dead turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 dead turbo?

I may be a bit premature in posting as I have not lifted the hood yet but it seems the turbo is done. I started the truck and there was no boost. I put it in gear and stomped it to the floor(which didn't do much). One we reached 55mph it started building boost. I let off the accelerator after a few sec to drop rpm. Re applied acclerator to floor and no boost building. I tried that same thing at the next stop sign with no boost to be found.
Any ideas?

05 6.0 dry intake, 5" turbo back no cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Check your intercooler boots. It is likely that one has either blown completely off or you have a decent sized hole that is preventing you from building boost. Pop the hood and let us know what you find.

PS. You won't get any boost in Park even romping on the engine.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Evil Eye. Another Q for ya!
The intercooler boot is cracked. I am looking at the 2004.5-2007 6.0L DIESELSITE Intercooler Boot Kit. Do you know if that boot will replace the lower one as well? What's the name of that lower boot?
Thanks fir your experience!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc11 View Post
Thanks Evil Eye. Another Q for ya!
The intercooler boot is cracked. I am looking at the 2004.5-2007 6.0L DIESELSITE Intercooler Boot Kit. Do you know if that boot will replace the lower one as well? What's the name of that lower boot?
Thanks fir your experience!
I don't recall if I bought the kit or each boot separately, but the kit should include the upper 45* turbo boot as well as the lower boot. It also includes 4 new clamps, which are MUCH higher quality than the stock clamps. I broke 2 of the clamps right on the turbo boot, both were when I was pulling a grade with the toy hauler. After the second one, I decided to upgrade to the Dieselsite boots and clamps and haven't had ANY problems and don't expect that I will.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have the vehicle here with me so I can't measure or eyeball the boot. There is a single boot w/ clamps for around 78 bucks. Do you know if the boots are shaped the same? I'd like to order now but may have to wait.
As radical as this loaner truck is... It's still a Cummin's!

05 F250
Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Slacker

Actually, the kit is only for the lower hose and is the tapered one that you need. The other one is the 45* angled boot for about $130. It looks like they have revamped their site and improved the searchability.

PS. Cost for the OEM boots and replacement clamps are just slightly lower than for the Dieselsite boots. To me, it's a no brainer once you see them.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

test rodger dodger
Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you sir,
I will check the sizes this evening and order from them. I'm not into the cheap way out!
I feel like this truck came off the line on a Friday but it's paid for and I want another few hundred out of it. Slow n steady I'll get it tight!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc11 View Post
Thank you sir,
I will check the sizes this evening and order from them. I'm not into the cheap way out!
I feel like this truck came off the line on a Friday but it's paid for and I want another few hundred out of it. Slow n steady I'll get it tight!
You and me both. I don't mind spending more on QUALITY parts and construction. It goes a LONG way to assuring me that I'm not standing on the side of the road with a broken down truck.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so the intercooler boots are bad. The oil leaking mixed with heat has coroded the wiring harness. i'm thinking of pulling and repairing the harness. However, if you know of an option other than the 900 bucks from ford I'd love to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.