Texas question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Texas question

I am moving from Las Vegas to the Dallas Texas area to attend more schooling for just over 3 years and then come back. I have a few questions for anyone who lives down there or knows about the process for getting my truck registered there. I have looked at their DMV website with only finding confusing and vague answers. I just realized why not ask all my brothers here. Any help would be much appreciated.
1. I'm from Vegas so its hot here too, like Dallas, so my windows are tinted the same on all windows, don't know the % but they seem dark. Am I going to get hassled on this, do they have a strict tint law?
2. What kind of emissions check is there in Texas. The EGR is deleted and my exhaust has a cat, if you look from the outside of it. In Vegas its just a visual inspection if its there. There is no muffler either on it. Its an 03 6.0L so its pretty loud. Will it be to noisy?
All this was done when I bought the truck and I have never had a problem here but you never know if another place is the same or more/less strict. It looks like there is a state inspection in Texas every year on the vehicle for registration but not sure what or how intense of an inspection it is. I'm guessing if its going to be a real hassle to get it to pass for registration I can just leave it registered in Nevada under my parents name or something, I just don't want to have to put much money or time into getting it worthy to register there but I would like to do it the right way if possible. Any thoughts or answers would be most helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Climb to Glory!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1. Tint laws for the state were lowered a couple of years ago down to 20% if I recall correctly but, that is only for the front side windows. The back and back side windows can be any % you want. I always had mine at 30% front and 15% rear/rear side. The tint is part of the yearly inspection. They can fail you on this until you get the tint removed/replaced. There are some inspection places that are more lax about this than others. DFW has more inspection shops that "guarantee a passing inspection" than anywhere else I have seen.

2. The mandated state inspection is really nothing more than a safety inspection. The emissions test vary depending on the county in which you register the truck. From what I have seen it is usually some of the bigger cities/counties that do this. Mine is in Bell County and they only perform a safety check on diesels.

IMHO if its already registered for Nevada I would leave it that way just to avoid any possible issues. Hope that helps.

Your best bet would be to post this up in the Texas forum as someone from DFW could give you more specific answers to that area.

Last edited by IRNFST; 08-04-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.