Boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LazyBum Send a message via Yahoo to LazyBum
Boost

Please forgive me on sounding stupid, but, I am new to the "powerstroke" world. I just bought a 2001 F250SD 4x4 with a 7.3 power stroke. I was told when I bought the truck, it had a "chip" in it. It does have 2 extra gages, a pyro and a boost. Boost seldom did anything except with you really step on it, or while driving down hiway, and around town, it usually just set on 0. Today, I noticed it didn't do anything, even on hiway, or when I floored it. I just took it on a 500 mile trip, and noticed that my milage dropped about 2mpg. Other than that, it all seems to be doing ok. They are autometer gages, so I feel sure that the gages are in good shape.

Any clue as to where I need to start looking? Where can I find this "chip" and find out what I have so I can find out if I need to replace it or not with something a little more "for me" type?

Most of what I do is a little town driving, and some long distance driving to go shark fishing. Once in a while will go to a local lake and haul my pontoon boat, but other than that, thats about all it is used for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
The Fat Mod

First off, to the ORG. Glad ya found us.

Ok, there is a small tube that is running out of your gauge pod, through the fire wall and towards the right side of the vehicel. That is going to the tube that goes to the MAP sensor. Make sure all of your connections are good there. Make sure it is hooked up and all of that. Of all that is good, you can usually gently slide the gauge out of the pod to check the back of the gauge. Make sure it is hooked up there. If all that is good, your boost gauge may have died. They are usually not too much to replace.

On to the chip. Do you have any knobs anywhere that you can change your settings with? If not, you may just have a single HP setting chip. There is a cover over your PCM that is down by the parking break. There are a couple of 10mm bolts that hold the cover on. If you take that off, there is a space in the end of the PCM that a chip would be. If you just see a black cover with a sticker with a number on it, then you dont have a chip. You may still have some sort of programmer loaded into it. That is a little harder to tell. If you ever blow any black smoke, you may have something in there. Hope this helps and there are no stupid questions here. Once again...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 PM

thanks for your reply and welcome! I'll go out and look at this in the morning before it gets too dang hot. Sounds simple enough.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 PM
The Fat Mod

Yeah, its not too bad. Both of those are pretty easy to check. If you have any problems or any more questions, let us know.

Oh, if you get a chance, introduce yourself in the intro section.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 PM

Oh, and no, there is no knob to change things, so I suppose mine must be a single as you said. So maybe tomorrow, we'll know more on what is going on
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM
The Fat Mod

Well, you can always take it out if you have anything, and get you a multi-position chip. Way more fun, and you get to smoke people
Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well, you can always take it out if you have anything, and get you a multi-position chip. Way more fun, and you get to smoke people

Funny you say that. I was next to a kid the other day, and his radio was so loud, I could hear it, and I am deaf, and my truck was vibrating... I floored it when the light turned green..... 1st time I ever seen it shoot out a puff of black smoke, and couldn't have been aimed any better.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah, its not too bad. Both of those are pretty easy to check. If you have any problems or any more questions, let us know.
Ok, found the problem. Tube came loose under the hood... Put it back in, gage worked, but, it popped back out after a while under a little pressure, so, will see about maybe a little wire tie around it tomorrow to see it maybe that'll hold it in place.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 PM
The Fat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBum View Post
Ok, found the problem. Tube came loose under the hood... Put it back in, gage worked, but, it popped back out after a while under a little pressure, so, will see about maybe a little wire tie around it tomorrow to see it maybe that'll hold it in place.
Good deal. Glad you found the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.