WHY??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down WHY???

That's the question I get asked more than any other...

"Why do you need such a big, heavy, dino-rig for just you and your tools? Can't you downsize, save fuel, pollute less, go green?"

I figure this might be a good place to get more input than my own.

I'll be the first to answer my own question, I guess...

I chose my rig for a variety of reasons:

First, I need a truck that can not only tote around my trade tools, but my 10,000Lb home, as well. My family and I chose the full-time RV lifestyle a few years ago just for the simple fact that we were bored and tired of seeing our home devalued year-after-year. We figured, why not lighten the load and let the kiddo see what's in the books, rather than reading about it for the next ten years?

Second, I wanted an investment-class machine that can take high-mileage...not a throw-away truck that needs replacing every 100,000 miles. I plan on owning this truck until I retire, and a good, large diesel engine with good maintenance can realistically chart a million miles +...

Third, when I'm cruising from here-to-there, I see alot of lighter rigs involved in TAs...sometimes you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. I've also seen alot of heavy rigs with the glass still in 'em when the other guy driving the econo-box was...ahem..."one with his car". My self and my family are simply safer in a heavy rig...period.

Fourth, while the little go-farts zipping about everywhere are speedy li'l machines...every once in a while I get a chance to blanket their shiny, tiny tuner in black, polluting soot...this brings me pure joy.

ALL HAIL THE CARBON FOOTPRINT!

What's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I have to admit, I was about to blast you when i read only part of your post...... After reasing completely, I see youarent the tree hugger i asumed you may be.. lol.

Anyway, I choose the PoOwerstroke Diesel, simply because that is what I choose to drive, and i like how diesels sound. I too see a lot of accidents that mangle the lighter, more "efficient" vehicles. I for one choose not to be mangled along with them. I like making my presence known... If you are in my way, you WILL see me and most likely choose to merge and let me pass rather than be ran over. I am not able to leave the carbon footprint that you can, the emissions compliant 6.7L just wont do it. may choose to tune later down the road.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Lol..."treehugger"? Hell, I'm a carpenter!

I do spend more time explaining freedom of choice and common-sense utility than I do just praising the platform's durability and power, though...

Greenies are the bane of my existence sometimes...I've even had my rig keyed by some eco-freak right in front of me back in Virginia because I was "murdering Gaia"....

...That one cost me a day in jail, 6 moths probation and a $1500 fine...but Mr. Green had to pay for the paint job...all-in-all I saved about 2 grand...xD
Old 06-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Retired Coastie

I agree with you Tug Daddy. We live in our rv also, a 14,000lb toyhauler. I have serious doubts that they'll ever come out with an electric truck that will pull it, so for now, I'll keep filling up the diesel tank and leaving my carbon footprint wherever I can.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
I agree with you Tug Daddy. We live in our rv also, a 14,000lb toyhauler. I have serious doubts that they'll ever come out with an electric truck that will pull it, so for now, I'll keep filling up the diesel tank and leaving my carbon footprint wherever I can.
+1...

I have stated that if they ever do come out with a heavy electric/alternative rig that will pull like mine, with at least a 500 mile range (under load), recharge overnight and last forever...I'd consider it...

But even if it came true, I'd still keep the "grunt" in reserve...xD

Gotta admit...a 100% electric drive train would out-torque any dino-powered rig on any day...for about as long as the battery lasted...not very long, yet.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I think it will be interesting to see why everyone chose this vehicle.. ill keep checking in.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i used to be a full time rver.(welder,ironworker) came home opened my own garage and work on gas vehicles everyday that have alot higher foot print than my 03 f250 7.3 ccsb 4x4 with 290k plus getting 14mpg dirtroad and 18.5mpg bigroad. plan on get at least 290k more. yeah if i want to pull something no problem, want to pull down in the creek get out and swim no problem, want to get cleaned up and load up the wife and cereal eaters and go to church while riding in comfort no problem. reason number 5 this is still america and i choose to drive it because i worked hard to pay for it. its mine i earned it.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I can honestly say fuel is one of the biggest reasons I chose diesel.

Got tired of ethanol in my gas. Tured of paying for super just so my hemi ran "well." Tired of 10-12mpg... (14 at best.) Tired of it stuggling with heavy plowing or towing the boat.

Diesel is not much more than super, but much better mileage, better power, tougher build, and better resale.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I like diesels better than gas. We have two diesels in the household. My wife got her dream car, so she let me get my dream truck. More torque for pulling my trailer and my toys.

I don't think that diesels will ever be replaced by electric trucks. Maybe in the toy trucks but not the super sized. As much as the tree huggers hate it, diesels are the future. The fuel can be made from food waste, algae, old oil, and just about anything. The auto companies are in the early stages of developing diesel motors that are clean burning. Some diesel engines (if not modified), actually burn as clean or cleaner than a conventional gas engine. We're just starting to see some progress in getting better mpg with the clean diesel engines. The 6.7L is a good example.

That being said, we should all be free to drive whatever we want to drive.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've always wanted an F250 diesel since the Super Duty came out in 99. I was only a freshman in high school then but I knew I'd have one some day. I picked my truck up last year and absolutely love it. Do I need it? Not at all. I don't tow or haul anything heavy but I love the look of the truck. I've had people tell me it's impractical and what not but I don't care. S far as it not being green so what. I burn about a 1000 gallons a day of jet A fuel on my current job so I don't care about how much fuel I burn. My carbon footprint is massive but that's ok. I hate winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.