Who has NOT or WILL NOT delete the DPF? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Who has NOT or WILL NOT delete the DPF?

Hi folks... As you may notice, I have posted a few questions concerning the purchase/choice of a 6.0 or 6.4. It sounds like tune and delete the DPF is very highly desirable from a MPG and reliability/longevity standpoint (I'm not interested in more power, only total cost of ownership), but I have yearly inspections here in PA that should include a visual check of SMOG components... so if I buy a 6.4 I have two choices... put up with R/R the DPF/tune for as long as I own it (a long time maybe, and take a chance on losing any remaining 3 years of warranty), or live with the poor MPG and REGEN BS/bad behavior... so who among you will keep it stock/DPF in place...?

Last edited by KeystoneFlyer; 06-23-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: grammar & content correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm probably one of the only people on this forum that'll keep my 6.4L stock. I use my truck as my daily driver and to tow my trailer and toys.

The truck has way more power than I'll ever use. The only negative thing I can say about the DPF is if it goes into regen, keep driving until it completes the cycle. The longest it's every been in regen is about 15 minutes.

I get around 13.6-14 mpg average per tank. I get 18 mpg if it's all highway driving (not towing).

I've had my truck for 1-1/2 years. No problems. It's an awesome truck!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

... wow, first positive (tolerant) DPF comment I've read... and that is acceptable hwy mileage IMO...

Thanks Air Force...(from this former Marine)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OOOh RAHHH! Your more than welcome!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just spend the time once a year to put the dpf on for a day when it needs inspected, or try and find a shop that will pass it without it (unlikely but trying never hurts)
I'm from PA and my 6.0 passes the visual inspection, but where is classified info....sorry for not answering your question, just trying to help with alternatives

Last edited by ars5147; 06-23-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm still running the DPF on mine. I've learned to cope with it and not let it rule my driving habits. I get the similar mileage to Spidey above but I'm also running the Banks Six-Gun and now the Banks AutoMind. Regens are just under 500mi consistantly with the Six-Gun, unsure yet regarding the AutoMind as I had to revert back to stock for a dealer visit and they stuck the latest TSB flash on it.

However, I will also be testing the DPF delete when they tell me they are ready for me to pick it up. However, I do like the fact that both the Six-Gun and AutoMind are 50 state approved. So I don't have to revert to stock for inspections.

Spidey, continuing to drive is just a wast of time and fuel. A better option is to just go to your destination, put it in park and let the truck idle for a few minutes to cool down. Soon as you put it in park it cancels the regen process and by letting it idle until it get's to normal idling temps, your giving it plenty of time to to burn off any extra fuel that was injected on the exhaust strokes.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Shaun:

I'll try it next time it regens. I've been following the owners guide that says to continue driving until the regen is complete. I've figured it's better to waste a little time and fuel and let the regen complete than risk getting any excess fuel down into the oil.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 PM

I was told before I bought my truck that if I was not prepared to delete the DPF that I should buy an older one without. I am very glad I heeded that advice.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Still waiting for someone to come out with a complete delete system that still looks 100% stock.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

... hollow it out and re-tune?

When ya think about it, it (a life time of regen monitoring) does seem like a lot to ask an owner to put up with... to baby sit this truck/motor 'cause of the EPA appendages... what a solution and prospect... as much as it is a great motor (heck they all are... except for too few (and undersized) head attachment bolts on the 6.0?) and a beautiful truck (08-10)... still undecided which to go for.... I would not have an issue bullet proofing the 6.0 if it was in an excellently cared for truck, if it comes to that... as for the 6.7, I am not familiar yet about what it is like to live with that motor/epa combo... but it is too soon (I prefer to buy low mile used) and too new (I want to here more reliability/consumer feedback) for me to consider it yet... maybe in a year... if I can wait that long.

Thanks so far for the responses... I do appreciate hearing from those of you that are trying to live with the DPF/6.4... looking for encouragement I guess as I am leaning toward the 08-10 "truck."

Hope to hear more... (guess I could have entitled this thread... "How to live with the DPF.")

Last edited by KeystoneFlyer; 06-25-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: content update, spelling correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.