07 or 09 PSD? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 07 or 09 PSD?

Hi folks... newbie here of course... been reading about these two models (the '07 6.0 v '09 6.4)... I asked a similar question a few weeks earlier... I have narrowed it a little more... I'm not in an immediate hurry, but am looking to buy a 'stock' CCSB loaded Lariat with less than 40k miles, and pay no more than around $32k for a '07 and $38-39k for a '09. There are many very nice trucks that meet that criteria. I'm skipping the '08 to avoid first job/yr issues, and the '10 as it is too close in price to the '11. The 6.7 has good prospects but I will only buy it 'used' in maybe '13 after further price depreciation and demonstrated reliability. SO... esthetics aside (the newer 08+ styling does grow on ya), any thoughts on spending the additional $6-7k for the 09/6.4 vs the 07/6.0? With the '09... I'd be getting more factory warranty (if I don't gas it or forget to drain the water)... but I'd take a MPG hit (unless I DPF delete/retune with a temporary only 'cheater pipe' as PA has annual auto smog visual inspections in my area, I'll be missing that cool 6.0 turbo-whistle, and I'd like to perhaps play with a vegistroke conversion some day, but that doesn't sound like it may be an option with a 6.4/6.7... BUT, will I be getting away with less potential fixes/mods with the 6.4 v 6.0 (6.0 oil cooler/EGR cooler delete or mod/ELC/studs...etc? Not interested in more power (from either engine), I just want a lower cost of ownership. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just an FYI, Clay Henry has a Vegistroke on his 6.4 and his 6.0. I believe he was the first on the 6.4. If was me I would goto a 6.4 but that is mainly a power issue over anything else. YOu have done your homework it seems, if you tackle the few 6.0 issues that are known to cause problems early on you should be fine with a 6.0 though.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up ...Clay & Vegi testing

... yep, I have read his posts acknowledging his test/development work in this area is in progress... time will tell if/how well the 6.4 (and the 6.7) will tolerate WVO... I certainly wouldn't go there with any engine of mine 'till the warranty is up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.