Newb with a newbie question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Newb with a newbie question

Ok, I KNOW this has to be a stupid question but where can I find info on the 00 to 02.5 7.3 vs a 05 or 06 6.0? I was "certain" I wanted a 7.3 because everyone said to stay clear of the 6.0's but just poking around here for a few hours I've seen things that suggest otherwise. If I have 20k, what's the best deal? An older 7.3 or a newer 6.0? ...........Told you it was a newbie question

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's a tough call, for a number of reasons. Personnally I like the power of the 6.0L, and the looks and towing capacities of the '05+ trucks. It comes down to what you need the truck to do.

The 7.3L is very reliable do to its simplier design, and lower powerband. However the 4R100 transmissions tend to have issues. The trucks also ride different with the leaf springs in the front.

The 6.0L has a bad rep, because you have got to keep up on the maintenance and monitor the engine to avoid the dreaded Oil Cooler failure that snowballs into gaskets. There are plenty of reliable 6.0's out there, and the 5R110 is a great transmission.

My advice, is if you can find a 6.0L that checks out for under 20K jump on it. Get the Carfax, and Oasis and know exactly what you're getting into before you buy.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hmmm i was the exact opposite. i was convinced on a 6.0 until i came here and starting researching. the 6.0 CAN be a great engine, after you fix all the downfalls. i was in your boat, spending 20K or less and i went with a 03 7.3. Love the truck. i needed it to tow on the weekends, be reliable and easy to work on. If you buy a 6.0, i would budge in putting egr delete, changing the coolant and upgrading the oil cooler. also, keep in mind there is a good chance you could be putting headgaskets in it and the earlier ones have turbo issues
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

I love the power and looks of a 6.0. I dont have a problem with them personally but they do have a bit of a bad rap. For me its a transmission thing. The 5R110 is a good reliable trans in my opinion but as far as i am concerned the 4R100 is a factory boat anchor. To me the 7.3 is one heck of an engine and I will be loyal to till the end but it is getting hard to find good low mileage ones. I would be happy with either but if I went 7.3 again I would not do it unless it was a manual or at least a good built auto from a reputable builder.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I went and drove an 03 7.3 CC 4X4 today. It drove great but it had a slight oil leak on the bottom\back side of the engine....not sure what that is. Anyway, the guys a smoker and it smelled like it. I'm also looking at an 06 6.0 with 93k. Oasis says it had new head gaskets in 06 and new injectors in 09. Does that mean maybe it's one of "the bad ones"? I'm lost.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh and the dealer is replacing the front seal and head gaskets again tomorrow morning. ????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.