Reasons to switch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reasons to switch?

I currently have a 2001 Toyota Rav4 4x4 with 177k miles on it. I have been considering switching over to a powerstroke, but I would like to know some reasons from owners about why I should switch to one. I live in NY and get all kinds of weather if that helps. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Firstly... Welcome to Powerstroke.org

Going from a Rav4 to a Powerstroke diesel is quite a stretch... may I ask why you're considering getting, not just a powerstroke, but a bigger truck in general? Do you need a 3/4 ton truck or bigger to tow anything you own?

Powerstrokes are known for their durability. The frames on these trucks are made with reinforced steel using a box frame design. All Ford trucks sport a solid axle front end as well, so you don't have to worry about suspension parts wearing out with powerstrokes. I can't really "sell" you on a particular powerstroke, because I'm not sure what kind you're interested in - and for what purposes you're buying it for.

What year (engine) were you considering?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I have been looking into getting a new vehicle in general. I enjoy the toughness of the trucks. Im beginning to drive more and more up north for work where there and harsh conditions and the bigger truck may help. One of my concerns is the gas mileage on the things. And I haven't decided on a year yet
Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
The Silent Service

If gas mileage is a concern, you may be a little disappointed in a Powerstroke. (I'm going to be honest here, if you buy a diesel truck it ain't for mileage). Most of the F250/350 SRW's get upper teens on the interstate. The Superdutys though do great up north. They are stronger in the front with a solid axle and can pull plow duty without an issue.

Looking for a newer truck, I'm assuming the 7.3L ('99-'03) would be out of the question. But it is the most reliable PSD produced with its big displacement and lower power output. The 6.0L ('03-'07) is my favorite, but you have to know exactly what to look for as the engine does have a few flaws most owners aren't willing to work through. The 6.4L ('08-'10) saw a twin turbocharger with very little lag time, a great powerband and is crippled by the EPA mandated DPF. The new 6.7L ('11+) seems to be suiting well with most drivers, but is very very quite for a diesel and has even more emissions control equipment onboard.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^ agree with 100%

The powerstroke diesels aren't known for their fuel economy, that's for sure... but if you're looking at getting a big truck, you won't find much better. With a few modifications and tuner, you can be sure to hit high teens/low 20's on the highway, with mid-teens around town.

And if you're trying to decide between a gasser F250 vs. diesel F250, go for the diesel, you'll definitely get more MPG out of the diesel vs the gasser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.