Train Horn Mounting Lacations....pics please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
Train Horn Mounting Lacations....pics please

I ordered a train horn kit from Train Horns - Train Horn kits - Air Horns, I'll prolly add a larger tank later if the 3 liter one isn't big enough (can get a 5 gallon tank for $50 thats meant for air suspension from some mini-trucker guys), but for now this will work. My only problem is mounting location.

I live in Missouri, so I get the rain and snow like most people on here, maybe no to the extremes some of you do, and I rarely/never go offroad except to check cattle, but I do live on a gravel road.....about 1/2 mile of it on the short way to pavement. So I'm wondering where you guys mounted your train horns, and if you've had any troubles with snow, rain, or dust messing up the horns. I would mount em up by the motor if there was room for it, but that 6.0 in my 05 f250 seems to eat up most of the room under the hood! I have also looked at the areas next to the frame under the crew cab and theres definately room, but didn't know if I would have troubles with rain/snow/dust in that location. I'm also thinking for the best sound I'm going to want the horns facing forwards versus backwards.....correct???

Thanks for the help ahead of time guys. Please post pics if you got em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 AM

Old thread, but Im curious to see some pics or descriptions....
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM

i have seen others post pics of what they did for mounting locations, but in other threads on here....
Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Cool, I keep lookin!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Here's a couple of threads to get ya started

Train Horns..WOO WOO...

More Train Horn Stuff...

Did I hear a train?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With fuel as much as it was when GW first hit Iraq, I noticed a startling trend as I hauled *** down the interstate. I would be cruising at 85 in the hammerlane and frequently discovered that I would collect 'tailgaters'- except these weren't your normal everyday run-of-the-mill tailgaters.

Usually, when seen in the rear view mirror, there would be enough vehicle separation to make a tailgater's hood or license plate visible. When I see them, I often leave the hammer lane and let them pass. Lately, these tailgaters have been following me. But these aren't your normal tailgaters, they are drafters and they draft so close that not only do you NOT see their LP or hood in the rear view mirror, all you see is the top of their windshield.

Now taking a look at the situation from my point of view: I am the lead vehicle, meaning if the 5-0 were running radar, I would be taking the biggest risk in getting a ticket. Also as lead vehicle, I would be burning the most fuel. Now some jackleg wants to ride my a**? No thanks.

My solution? A REAL train horn.

Most of the kits seen on trainhorn.org and ebay are 'toys.' The difference between these kits and the real thing is like night and day. We're grown men with POWERSTROKES! If you are going to do the job, do it right and do it right the first time. If you are going to add a trainhorn, make it a REAL trainhorn such as a NATHAN/Airchime or Leslie.

Personally, I have a Nathan K3LA (see sig) here are some pictures of the install on my 2001 Excursion.

Note: the horns are facing to the rear ( they are so damned loud, it really doesn't matter what direction you aim them ) and the install is basically below the rear passenger seat, adjacent to the drive shaft and immediately before the rear axel. The 12 gallon airtank is between the running board and the frame rail.

K3LA

12 Gallon Airtank

Graham/White Valve & Handle

Viair 480 Compressor

I have learned that you do NOT hit the horn in response to someone who is acting stupid in front of you. Typically, their reaction is to slam on their brakes and swerve.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
hahahaha -- thats funny!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
That is a SICK train horn set up. When I first posted to see this stuff I had only heard of buying kits, not piecing together a set of Nathans, a large tank, and a sweet Viair compressor.

The only thing I dont like is that huge valve set-up sticking out of the floor like that. I bet that thing would make some noise tho.

I've got mine mounted in a similar spot under my 250 and its CRAZY loud, but I have yet to wire it up. Right now I have a wire running down that I can hook up to the compressor to fill the tank so my buddies can hear it if they want....but thats about it for now.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Your my hero John911
Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Here's my pics.

Removed the spare tire (where else you gonna put these mutha's)

15 gallon tank and ViAir 450 continous duty mounted in the toolbox

also have a 5 gallon mounted on the frame (sorry no pics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.