Diesel Ranger Project - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Ranger Project

Hey y'all. So iv got this wild hair... every body has seen and done the 4bt Cummins in the ranger.... well I want to stick to the ford & international combination. My thoughts were to use the International VT275 (maxxforce 5, 4.5 Powerstroke). I want to know what y'all think on this project. And what y'all think on the motor choice. Is there a better choice? I would like to build the motor as well. 350-400 horse is not out of the question. Other definite modifications to my 2001 Ranger will be a high pinion dana 30 SAS, lift kit, tires all that. Im thinking im going to keep the factory 8.8 rear end and just swap gears around to something around 373s if I go along with this project. My thoughts for a transmission was the 700r4 built up. Im having trouble finding a good transmission that is small enough to fit under the ranger body.

Iv herd the vt275 has the same problems as the 6.0. I want to know if the parts between the 6.0 and the 275 are interchangeable. Then I could fix the common egr problems as well as the head stud and injector problems with aftermarket parts. Are their aftermarket parts available for a vt275 if the 6.0 parts wont interchange???

The 4bt is my current back up plan. But I really want to stay with this International concept.

I just figured I would get some good input from y'all. Please let me know your views on this project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
spool up that turbo!!

sounds like an awesome plan keep us posted and i wanna see a good picture of your truck mostly because its on boggers haha
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
hmmm subscribed.

i was in a similar situation as you. my 98 explorer needed a trans and timing chains. i was an inch away from doing a 4bt swap. had a running van and pars lined up. than i found my KR, never the less i traded it
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
The Silent Service

Sounds like an interesting swap, I don't know much about the vt275. The reasoning is sound, drop a smaller diesel in the Ranger and see if it holds. It's gonna take some work, I'm sure a mess of fabrication, and some cash to pull it off. Good Luck, and keep us posted.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Unfortunately the picture ya see is old. A few months ago Big Green met her fate with a concrete bridge pillar doing 70mph.... long story short I miss my diesel ... I want to build one more cool truck while I can.

I basically have everything figured out on what I want to do and how to do it. My only problem is the motor and trans set up. Also getting the tcase to bolt up will be a chalange. I just want to know more about the motor before I go on with this plan... as well figure out a good trans combo to match it. Im pretty heart set on this making diesel power mag. Lol
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Emergency Services

Sub'd, this sounds awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.