looking to buy diesel.. opinions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking to buy diesel.. opinions?

Hey, I've been looking at the Ford F250 Supercab Powerstroke turbo diesel. I just wanted opinions on this truck and what you guys think is this a good one to buy. I will be getting a used one, and am looking on the market. I own a 2002 Lifted 9" dodge ram 4 door so I know trucks... I was wondering what you guys think about this ford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First of all your question is WAY too general, not to sound rude but we need to know more. what year are you looking at? 6.0's(03-07) can be had cheap but they tend to need work, 7.3's (94.5-03) are hard to find with low miles but they're bullet proof.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
First of all your question is WAY too general, not to sound rude but we need to know more. what year are you looking at? 6.0's(03-07) can be had cheap but they tend to need work, 7.3's (94.5-03) are hard to find with low miles but they're bullet proof.

no man dont feel like you were rude at all. I havent really been sure between the 6.0 and 7.3 which one is better. I have just began to really look and try to find one. There are a few like 2002-2004 ones sort of close rangin from 90-110k miles. Then more that are like 180k plus miles.

looking for like the 90-110k miles so the 7.3 is the one to have? What work is normal for the 6.0?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
7.3 is trusty.. if it was taken care of properly, a 6.0 may have a simple problem like an egr cooler needing replaced, but it could end up causing a laundry list of problems, blown hg's, warped heads, etc... long story short alot of 6.0's with an egr delete, ELC coolant, and head studs are out running around just fine, but its not a game i have money to play so i drive a 7.3.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

7.3 fan

Just thought I'd chime in my 2 cents. I drive a 2000 F250 and tow loads with the truck, trailer, and load weighing 24 - 25,000 lbs on a regular basis. As far as engines go, I'd have to say that the 7.3 is one of most reliable around. My odometer has just turned 320,000 and the engine has had nothing done to it other than replace a single injector. The transmission is the weak link in the Super Duties. You'll be hard pressed to find a Cummins or Duramax that reliable. Sure the Cummins is known for being capable of producing massive horsepower, but that does no good if you can't rely on it. If I could find another F250 with the 7.3 with anything less than 200,000 on it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...as long as they aren't trying to rip you off.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

And my 0.02... my 06 F350 just turned 115k, and it has been terrific. Mine is stock except for changing to ELC coolant, has been no trouble. Still has the EGR cooler and stock oil cooler, no problems with either. So my personal experience with a 6.0 has been - change to ELC coolant (stock Ford coolant can clog up oil and EGR coolers under heavy use), leave everything else alone, and it is quite reliable. Same experience with the three other 6.0 owners I know. One lost an injector pump at 140k miles, the other two have been as reliable as mine.

In all fairness, if you plug in a tuner with an 'insane' tune on it, leave the stock head bolts in place, you will have expensive trouble. Around here, more often than not, when someone blows a HG on a 6.0, there's a tuner involved.

What I particularly like about the F350 is: everything is done well on it. Interior is rock solid (helps if you get a King Ranch...), handles great with and without a load, rides amazingly smooth for a 1 ton, and the 5R110 auto transmission is about as bulletproof as is made today.

A friend has an 01 F250 with the 7.3, it's been great, too.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they are all great trucks just do your research and see what works for you
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM

I have a 97 7.3L f350 and it has been a great truck. If you intend to tow a lot with it like me, you will probably wind up replacing the transmission. I have 308,000 rougly and trailering whole life and just went to the shop today to get it rebuilt. The trannys ar good but not bulletproof. The 7.3 is f-ing amazing and will never leave you swearing on the side of the road if you take care of it regularly! go 7.3 man you won't be dissappointed!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Looks like what everyone here is saying is you will not
be going wrong as long as you buy a F-250 or F-350 Ford.
Good luck on getting a good used truck.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.