Why EGT's are so crucial. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why EGT's are so crucial.

im sure this will stirr up some of the "anti dealer" people....but this is a prime example as to what EGT's can do to a motor. I got a repair order for a 05 excursion with a 6.0 today for a rattling noise from the motor. i pulled it in, the rattle was terrible, and the EDGE tuner screen was reading 0 PSI of boost at all times, so i already had an idea of what i was looking at. after about 30 seconds of running, the motor started blowing white smoke, which i assumed was entierly unburnt fuel. i stepped out of the truck and got a wiff of the smoke, and it wasnt fuel, it was obviously the sweet smell that airborn coolant has. upon inspection, i found the turbo had been completely siezed which caused the shaft and bushing in between the exhaust and intake side to break. i split the turbo in half at the clamp and the exhaust side turbine just fell into my hand.

Now to the truck, the owner has a very expencive, four corner air lift on it. it has an edge attitude with some other piggyback programmer.......AFE air filter with automatic retracable door steps, a four inch downpipe with a five inch exaust after the downpipe. the truck has 14600 miles roughly. the guy obviously has money and no common sence......

It is very obvious that this turbo was melted down due to high EGT's, and when i brought that up to the service manager, the customer came down to argue. you all know me well, i VERY rarely blow the wistle on guys with mods, unless it is blatent and just plain abuse, which this obviously is. i explained the meltdown of the turbo to the customer and his comment was "I know for a fact those EGT's never got over 1800........OMG.....no wonder that turbo was toast......

to make it all beter, i drained the oil and pulled the oil filter after i spit the turbo and found oil in the exhaust side. i found out that the oil and filter looked like a christmas tree if i shined my flashlight into it. there was a TON of metal flakes and this motor is not long for this world......

so for those of you that dont thing EGT's are a big deal....this guy is looking at a 12-15,000 dollar repair because he didnt.........Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

marc, what is comfortable for EGT temp my truck is stock as a rock right now except I have the 10k mod but I want exhaust and considering a single stack if not a friend said all I need to do is put a muffler on it and I'll be satisfied I'm not too interested in hot rodding just pulling a little more hidden power what do you suggest without having to chip my truck I want long lasting results I trust your input...thanks Randy(2001 7.3 92000 mi.)
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Power Strokeaholic

thats what happen's when a yuppie buy's a big shiney toy cuz Mr.Jones has one, and, he has to out do his nieghbor. also, those are the kinda people i cant stand. they buy an expensive toy and throw alot bells on it and don't bother to learn about the limit'sof said toy or the limit's of said bell's. that guy is a dam dumbass and deseves that big of a bill. i have no sympathy for him.

Last edited by super_stroke; 05-24-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350MAN
marc, what is comfortable for EGT temp my truck is stock as a rock right now except I have the 10k mod but I want exhaust and considering a single stack if not a friend said all I need to do is put a muffler on it and I'll be satisfied I'm not too interested in hot rodding just pulling a little more hidden power what do you suggest without having to chip my truck I want long lasting results I trust your input...thanks Randy(2001 7.3 92000 mi.)
keep it under 1100- 1200 degrees sustained EGT max and you will be fine, but as anything with EGT's go, the lower the better, the motor and turbo can take a smaller burst, even upwards of 1600 for a few seconds from what ive been told, but its not really worth pushing your luck
Old 05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stroke
thats what happen's when a yuppie buy's a big shiney toy cuz Mr.Jones has one, and, he has to out do his nieghbor. also, those are the kinda people i cant stand. they buy an expensive toy and throw alot bells on it and don't bother to learn about the limit'sof said toy or the limit's of said bell's. that guy is a dam dumbass and deseves that big of bill. i have no sympathy for him.
AMEN
Old 05-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
That's why I'll be moving my pre turbo Pyro over to my Bully Dog Outlook Monitor this weekend (plus installing my cab lights )and setting my de-fuel limit. One less thing I have to think about. I'll probably set it lower than most but better safe that out 12K.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
If you feel like you have to run hotter than 1200 degrees...then ya probably should go buy a Cat C15 or something along that size engine. About the only bad thing about a diesel is that they'll take so much abuse, will eat almost anything doing it, and the uneducated owner thinks that means everything's just fine.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:35 PM

This thread answers a question I had about my new to me truck--whomever owned it before me cared about it, it has a Banks exhaust and intake and Autometer gauges.

One of the gauges on the A pillar is the pyrometer. I noticed that under hard acceleration, my EGTs are around 900, maybe 800 sustained with peaks around 900*.

I'm right where I need to be, eh?

New to the diesel world and already loving it.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
As long as you aren't sustaining 1200+ degrees you'll be ok. Seeing it climb to around 900 under acceleration is normal.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:43 PM

Excellent, thanks for the tech.

I've noticed that my tranny temp gauge stays buried at 100*. I'm assuming that's not right.

Think I have a bad sender? I'm not doing that much heavy hauling, but it'd be nice to see what my tranny temps really are.

Thanks to whomever owned this truck before I did for buying the gauges and the Banks kit for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.