What Powerstroke should I buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Powerstroke should I buy?

I am looking to by a F250 Powerstroke in the future, and I am not sure which to get...

I have heard (and read) several different things between the 2 my budget allows. With my budget, its between a 7.3L and the 6.0L. But very few 7.3s will go since I need a fairly new model year, as I will be financing the truck.

So any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 PM
The Silent Service

We need to know what you're looking to do with the truck.

Daily Driver, Hauling Trailers around XX lbs, Hot Rod Project.

A little more info, and I'm sure we can guide you in the right direction.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

^^^Good call on my omissions, haha. I thought I typed those in there.

The truck will be a Daily Driver so my "nice" car car stay hidden from the nasty weather of West Texas. I will be towing between 7500-9500 pounds: 4000 pound car, trailer, and other things. Then I will also be using it to haul things for family, since that is what I did when I had my last truck (02 Explorer Sport Trac). Basically need something that I can get a lot of use out of. Mile dont matter to me, per say, as I know most well taken car Powerstroke will give you A LOT of miles in its lifetime.

This is the car I will be towing:

Old 04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i own a 2006 F-250 and i love it. some will down talk the 6.0 til they are blue in the face but im tellin you what that 6.0 is an awesome motor. mines got 180,000 miles on it.
the 6.0 is an awesome engine but you have to take care of it.
regular maintence is key on any diesel engine more so on some than others.
you do the maintence at the scheduled intervals like you should and it will give you miles and miles of trouble free driving.
my truck pulls a 13,000 lb 5th wheel toy hauler with out issue, it rides good has TONS of power, and does decent on fuel mileage.
the 7.3 is also a good option but if your financing ends up like mine it will be hard to find one. i was allowed a vehicle loan at 2.99 percent interest for 60 months if it was 7 years or newer. or 10.45 for 60 if it was older than that.
the 7.3 will run forever but just like anything else you have to take good care of it otherwise you end up replacing stuff left and right just like any other diesel and most things on diesel engines are slightly more pricey than a similar part on a gas engine (part and engine depending) a 6.4 would also be a good option but they are a little harder on fuel because of the emissions equipment but if you do the neccasary things to one they are good on fuel and fast as hell!
the 6.0 is prone to head gasket failure, egr/oil cooler issues, and some turbo issues (not as common as egr/oil cooler and head gasket issues) but if the maintence was done as it should have been you shouldnt have a problem and there are a few ways to make them dang near bullet proof.
as far as 7.3 issues im not super familiar with them but i have several friends that own 7.3s and the majority of them have modified there trucks or have done a lot of heavy towing on a daily basis and they have had transmission issues. the 6.4 i have not heard alot of issues with simply because i have never had one and dont know to many guys with them but they seem to be pretty stout trucks. someone will chime in on what there experience they have with the other two engines. anyone you get you will be happy with. they really are great trucks and honestly alot of people dont look at trucks as something fun to drive because they are built to work, but for not alot of money you can make them haul *** and they are a hoot to drive. good luck in the search for your new vehicle. be sure to get an oasis report and a car fax before you buy. you can get the oasis report at any ford dealer just take them the vin number and they are free. make whoever is selling it to you buy a carfax. again good luck on the truck purchase and when you get one be sure to post pics!
SKOOTER
Old 04-20-2011, 04:56 PM

oops almost forgot
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I want a CTS-v They are bada**! Oh yeah, I love my 6.0
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

skooter...thanks for the great write up. one of the best response to a question i have seen on any forum i am apart of (all 9 of them).

i love my V, but i am torn...i may get rid of it to get a C6 Z06, but i effing love the car. i think the idea of have two 6.0L V8s in my driveway...haha combining to produce 700+ hp and 1000+ tq...combined (since i wont be doing much modding to the Powerstroke)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

not a problem buddy
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 AM

If you're looking at a 6.0, I'd suggest you stick to 05-07. 03-04 had some issues: improper head bolt torque in 03 on some, a bad batch of injectors from Siemens in 04. In 05, the front suspension was revised: coil springs, tighter turning circle, they ride a lot nicer and turn tighter. After 07, the DPF (diesel particulate filter) was introduced for emissions, and fuel mileage is worse.

Good news: The 6.0 comes with the 5R110 transmission, which is as close to bulletproof as has ever been made. Very rare to hear of any problems with it.

As for reliability of the 6.0 - like a lot of things on the web, it's been blown out of porportion. From what I've seen in the trouble sections here, when someone has HG problems, they usually also have a bunch of performance mods listed in their sig. Adding power has been made real easy - too easy. Plug in a tuner, and crank it up. In an otherwise stock 6.0, that can quickly lead to blown head gaskets, which is a four thousand dollar repair bill. One big difference I've seen between gas and diesel - it's a lot easier to break a diesel when adding power. You can get over 400hp out of a 6.0 reliably, but do your homework first.

My 06 6.0 is pretty much stock, and has been great. Blew a HPOP seal at 94k miles, fixed under warranty. Otherwise, it's been fuel and regular oil changes. Handling, both empty and loaded, is terrific. Hold out for a King Ranch edition if you can, they don't tend to sell for much more, and that saddle leather interior puts a Lincoln to shame.

You do want to change the coolant to ELC, the stock Ford Gold coolant can clog up the EGR and oil coolers if the engine is run hard for long periods of time. That's about the only change you really need to make. You don't need to install head studs ($$$) unless you plan on boosting power. Worth the trouble to do that? Wasn't for me - I bought my F350 to haul loads, and 325hp is plenty for that. If I want to haul a**, I have other vehicles: 1990 Lotus Esprit, 1985 Mercedes 190 Cosworth, 1970 ZR1 Corvette (under extensive restoration right now).
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not going to mod the truck at all...it will stay bone stock. the only i might change is the radio...just need something will tow my car and trailor with a few household things loaded into the bed (and possibly car haha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
1970 ZR1 Corvette (under extensive restoration right now).
you lucky devil btw...can i have it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.