Question from a new guy. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Question from a new guy.

Morning all. Found this forum by accident looking for info about 7.3 Power Strokes. I'm in the market for a crew cab Ford (my dang kids legs won't quit getting longer and the F150 extra cab just won't cut it anymore), and came across a '97 F350 crew cab with an 8' box. It's 4x4 with a 7.3 in it. 141K miles.

My dad had a 97 F250 with a 7.3, and it was a great truck, but a dingbat in Wyoming hit him, and it was a total. It didn't have nearly as many miles as this one does, but I have heard that the 7.3 is a tough motor, with a long life expectancy.

Body is straight, paint isn't too bad, interior smells, well, like butt, but over all, it seems a good truck.

I can get it for $11,500.

What should I look for, is this too much, run away?

HELP!

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
WELCOME to the site!! Have a look at this link and it should answer most of your questions!!

What to look for when buying a used 94-98 PSD
Old 07-24-2007, 08:23 AM
one day at a time

I wouldn't be scared of the miles, there are a lot of 7.3's out there with 300k and up still running the roads. As far as price I'm not sure what's fair so hopefully somebody else will jump in on that. Check out this thread also: What to look for when buying a used 94-98 PSD it should help you in your shopping for a truck. Hope this helps and welcome to the site!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to cowboymafia
yeah that sounds like a fair price i got on kellys blue book (New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site) an did the bluebook of my truck which is a 1997 f350 single cab xlt 4x4 an thats how much it bookd for i baught it with a 160k on it and its been a good truck
Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

Love my 97. Pushin 200,000 miles almost. Lots of power and reliability.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Conservative and Proud

Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the welcome and the info guys. I know in my heart that the 7.3 will last, but just like any used truck purchase, the questions come up. My current truck (the 98 F150 xtra cab) was used when I got it, and it has been a real blessing to have, and a pleasure to drive. Got it with close to 100K miles on it, and have put another 77K on my self. I have no doubt that the F350 will serve as well or better.

The check engine light was on the first time I drove it (the F350), and it didn't seem to have the pep that I remember my dad's having. It went to the shop yesturday and they "fixed" whatever was ailing it. Drove it again last night, and what a difference. I haven't heard as yet what the problem was, but I will find out before I go farther. I hope it works out.

Now I have an excuse to get a 5th wheel.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Sounds like a good deal. Mine just turned 180K. It had 143K when I bought it.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again guys. Looks like I'll pick her up this evening.

Another question has come up; back when my dad had his 97 PSD, he checked on getting a bug shield for the hood, and read somewhere that they were not advised for the PSD because of air flow issues? I noticed that "my" truck has had a bug shield on it (hood paint rub). Should I be concerned about this, or is the shield a non issue?

I ask also because I think bug sheilds work, and would like to put another one on if ok to do so.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to worx
I remember thinking the same a long time ago with adding one to a baby Ranger- and they told me the same. I would not think it would be that big of an issue with the 250/350 and mores as they are not that high of milage getters.
My concern was with what you ahve now- the paint rub, so i didin't add one when I got my truck. If you look at the pics on here- you will see alot with bug guards... I would think the hood hugging ones would not be that bad on effecting anything, where as the old school straight up ones were the worse!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.