Hello All! New Member - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello All! New Member

Hello Everyone-

I'm a n00b/newbie/noob to not only PowerStroke.org, but also the Diesel side of things as well. Upgraded from my trusty Extended Cab 2004 F-150 4.6L to a Super Cab 2005 FX4 F-250 6.0L.

When I began shopping, I was made aware of the issue(s) that existed with the 6.0L, which made me decide to focus my efforts on purchasing a Chevy 2500. Unfortunately, with increasing gas prices the Chevy fell out of budget. I did however manage to find a well taken care of 2005 F-250, as mentioned above.

It comes to me with a pristine tan leather interior and royal blue exterior (as clean as you are going to see for a work vehicle), 168k miles, near-new Michelin tires and a 5th-wheel hitch. It was owned by one and only one owner, who I have spoken with.

He mentioned that it was used to tow only a 5th wheel for their environmental business. It has had the oil cooler and 1.5 sets of injectors replaced. The first set of injectors was all 8, the second time was just a set of 4. He said the only real reason he traded it in was because of downtime associated with the injector repairs. Otherwise, he had not one bad thing to say. It does have a BullyDog Triple Dog tuner installed, which thus far has been used only for reporting purposes (The display will not seem to stay in any mode but STOCK).

All that being said, what are the first 5-10 items you would have me check as a new owner? I will surely take pictures of any parts/items in question. I appreciate everyone's time and look forward to your responses.

-Eric

Last edited by EricWoodland; 03-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 AM

Eric-

Welcome to the org. I suggest you spend some time in the 6.0 specific forums to get all the details- but here is what I suggest: get a monitoring device that has parameters for EOT (oil) and ECT (coolant). Since you have a new oil cooler (per the previous owner), you will want to make sure that it is doing its job by watching the difference between EOT and ECT. Generally, at a steady cruise on flat surfaces (55-65 mph), you don't want to see a difference higher than 15*. I would also flush the coolant and get an ELC EC-1 rated coolant. These two purchases should cover you for a while, if your funds allow, I HIGHLY suggest getting a coolant filter from dieselsite or sinister. Let me know if you have any other questions, and congratulations!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsWest View Post
Eric-

Welcome to the org. I suggest you spend some time in the 6.0 specific forums to get all the details- but here is what I suggest: get a monitoring device that has parameters for EOT (oil) and ECT (coolant). Since you have a new oil cooler (per the previous owner), you will want to make sure that it is doing its job by watching the difference between EOT and ECT. Generally, at a steady cruise on flat surfaces (55-65 mph), you don't want to see a difference higher than 15*. I would also flush the coolant and get an ELC EC-1 rated coolant. These two purchases should cover you for a while, if your funds allow, I HIGHLY suggest getting a coolant filter from dieselsite or sinister. Let me know if you have any other questions, and congratulations!
X2 and welcome to the org
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Conservative and Proud

Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
to the ORG
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Rugs!

What is the best method to flush the coolant system? I've picked up a couple gallons of distiller water to flush out the gunk. Any recommended brand for the replacement coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsWest View Post
Eric-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.