Need advice.. new guy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice.. new guy

This is probably my first post, I'm only really on svtperformance.com under the same username.
I have an 03 Cobra, I have it for sale right now. I'm trying to get rid of it and get into a Super Duty.
I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to what I want:
I'm not sure if it started in 98 or 99 but that model on up.. how new it is doesn't matter, I do not like the generation before the 98 or 99 model, whichever it is. Not into the square body style
Also I want the v8 turbo diesel- I'm pretty sure
Crew cab, short bed.

Now I have a few questions.
7.3 or 6.0?
How many miles is high? I would be okay with low to mid 100k miles.. 140,000 doesn't really scare me.
I was kind of looking for one from early 2000's mostly for the cheaper price.
Is there anything I need to watch out for? Any mods done to these that are not good? That may not hold up well or damage the truck?
Should I look for a stock or modded one?
Of course if I buy modded, the stuff is already done and its definitely cheaper than doing it yourself.
Take it easy on me, I'm new to the diesels and new to this forum. I've just been messing with bikes and cars my whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i'd pick up a 99-03 7.3, trusty and reliable, not the fastest but easy to mod and make run even better, and run for a long time.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Both motors have a couple of weak links that are easily addressed. A few upgrades on either motor will make them pretty reliable, but the 7.3 has a well earned reputation for being one of the best motors Ford ever put into a truck. It won't make the power of a 6.0, but is much more forgiving in regards to fuel quality.

The best advice I can give you is to browse through the 7.3 and 6.0 forums and see what issues the owners are dealing with. Like any other vehicle purchase, research the truck you have in mind: ask for an Oasis report and a Carfax. Have a trusted diesel mechanic go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. And compare prices -- diesel trucks can be found for great prices now that fuel is crazy expensive.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
i'd pick up a 99-03 7.3, trusty and reliable, not the fastest but easy to mod and make run even better, and run for a long time.
Alright, thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Both motors have a couple of weak links that are easily addressed. A few upgrades on either motor will make them pretty reliable, but the 7.3 has a well earned reputation for being one of the best motors Ford ever put into a truck. It won't make the power of a 6.0, but is much more forgiving in regards to fuel quality.

The best advice I can give you is to browse through the 7.3 and 6.0 forums and see what issues the owners are dealing with. Like any other vehicle purchase, research the truck you have in mind: ask for an Oasis report and a Carfax. Have a trusted diesel mechanic go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. And compare prices -- diesel trucks can be found for great prices now that fuel is crazy expensive.
Alright, I didn't know of anyone having any issues with the 7.3's... which is why I am researching.

Thank you for your advice as well, I will continue researching information.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 PM

i found in my area you can buy the newer trucks with the 6.0 with less miles cheaper than you can buy an older truck with a 7.3 and high miles
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venumb View Post
Alright, I didn't know of anyone having any issues with the 7.3's... which is why I am researching.
I own a 6.0, but I love the 7.3's also.

However, ask any 7.3 owner about the CPS or PMR's (powdered metal rods).
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM

I've had my 06 F350 for over three years. Very reliable and trouble free, and just a monster when it comes to towing and hauling. Surprisingly good mileage. Showing 114k miles now, still going strong.

All a stock 6.0 needs is a change to ELC coolant (stock ford coolant will clog up the EGR and oil coolers), and clean oil. I looked into more power, but it's not cheap. What I learned is modding a diesel for more power is a lot trickier than modding a gas engine. Do you homework carefully before going down that route, the penalty for error is expensive.

Look carefully at modded trucks, especially modded 6.0's. Improper mods can blow head gaskets real quick, to the tune of $3k-4k. Modded trucks also tend to get driven harder, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the trouble. I'd suggest you look for one that hasn't been modded.

With 6.0's, they made suspension changes in 05. Much nicer ride, and tighter turning circle. I believe my 06 F350 rode nicer than an 04 F250 I checked out.

Also, hold out for the King Ranch package if you can. Very nice.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I own a 6.0, but I love the 7.3's also.

However, ask any 7.3 owner about the CPS or PMR's (powdered metal rods).
the cps isnt that bad just keep a spare one in the glove box and with the new wave of tuning the pmrs are bein able to hold some decent power a guy on here from hawaii laid down 468 hp on the dyno his torque # slips my mind at the moment they all have there ups and downs
Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
I've had my 06 F350 for over three years. Very reliable and trouble free, and just a monster when it comes to towing and hauling. Surprisingly good mileage. Showing 114k miles now, still going strong.

All a stock 6.0 needs is a change to ELC coolant (stock ford coolant will clog up the EGR and oil coolers), and clean oil. I looked into more power, but it's not cheap. What I learned is modding a diesel for more power is a lot trickier than modding a gas engine. Do you homework carefully before going down that route, the penalty for error is expensive.

Look carefully at modded trucks, especially modded 6.0's. Improper mods can blow head gaskets real quick, to the tune of $3k-4k. Modded trucks also tend to get driven harder, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the trouble. I'd suggest you look for one that hasn't been modded.

With 6.0's, they made suspension changes in 05. Much nicer ride, and tighter turning circle. I believe my 06 F350 rode nicer than an 04 F250 I checked out.

Also, hold out for the King Ranch package if you can. Very nice.
Tons of good info here, the part about looking for an un-modded one makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
If you want reliability and aren't buying it to race... Go with the 7.3L.

If you are a HP junky with a fat wallet... Go the way of 6.0.

PMR's are good for 400-450HP... and only the late 01- 02's have them... so PMR's really arent a factor unless you are doing a crazy HP build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.