Standard vs. Automatic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Standard vs. Automatic

Hey guys,

I'm looking at F350 dually trucks and I've found that there is a huge price difference between stick and auto transmission. No that doesn't really surprise me but it has been a long time since I've pushed a clutch and I wanted to know what those of you that drive sticks think...

I'm going to be using this truck to pull a 32' flatbed gooseneck hauling 10,000 lbs loads of pipe for hot-shot deliveries. I don't know that I really want to mess with constant shifting but I'll be on the highway most of the time so it won't be all that often really... The big thing will be manuvering with the trailer in town and on delivery sites.

For those that have experience with pulling trailers and stick shift, what are your thoughts. Do you regret your choice? If you had it to do over again would you have gone with an automatic? The price difference seems to be averaging around $3,000. Would that have been worth it or are you completely happy with your decision to go stick and proud that you saved the cash?

Thanks for you input,
Joshua
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've got the 6-speed in my '00 f-350 drw, I wouldn't trade it for two of the automatics that were available then. If we were talking about a torqueshift automatic, I'd have to say I'd rather have the auto. The six speed is plenty tuff and isn't really a bother to shift, but I'm used to it. I use mine to pull a 25' gooseneck usually hauling round bales and a skid steer. Pull it down in granny gear and you're probably goin' to pull it if you can get the traction. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a six-speed especially if it means saving some jack.:drive:
Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to CamTom12
I've got a 6-speed also with the 3.73's and I love it!

Most I pulled was with my bike in the bed, my trans am on a car trailer and I grossed out 16,000 for the trip (car and rest of the truck were loaded to the gills with various crap). Pulled out up hill from a stop without much drama using L
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

If i was going to be pullin like that i would choose the stick.....
Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 PM

JW, I suppose it's all in how you like to drive, and how often you like to replace blown transmissions. I searched for three months for my 6 speed manual. I only tow lighter boats with my truck, but the shifting isn't bad at all. The transmission is very smooth, not silky smooth, but much smoother than you'd expect from a diesel truck.

The biggest deciding factor for me was that I can feel a clutch slipping and can work a slipping clutch into some sort of schedule, as well as inspecting the clutch prior to that. Automatics can leave you in the middle of the desert 100,000 miles after a rebuild, or 5 miles after a rebuild. They just blow anytime they feel like it.

I know I'll probably take some heat for this post, but it's only based on my experiences. It will be a long time before I ever own an auto. Plus, why do all the big rigs have sticks?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm new to the site but not new to a 6-speed. If you're going to drive in the city go w/ an auto, but for pulling and especially highway, the only choice is standard.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Starbucks View Post
Plus, why do all the big rigs have sticks?
My guess is you don't spend much time around the trucking industry. Mack sells more automatics than manual transmissions in their Granite line. Most cement mixers are autos these days as well as most large fleets. Owner/operators still prefer a good Roadranger tranny.

As far as the extra cost of the auto, you can easily eat that up when you have to upgrade the clutch on the six speed. I see you were running a programmer on your 7.3. If you run much of a program on a 6.0 or 6.4 your stock clutch won't last long!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
The Fat Mod

I loved my 6 speed. But if you are going to be doing a lot of heavy traffic driving, any stick shift sucks. But for pulling, you can't beat them. The torqueshifts in the 6.0s are very strong units. Mine has been very hardy. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
I have a 94 STICK 250 pull a 36 ft Montaniana with it . Ride from Joliet IL to CC ,TX 2 X a yr . Stop in mountan aeras (Ozarks,& OK), been up an down hte hills narrow roads Stick works great love it...... Dont need 1 of those pricey trannies besides i like the stick better.... Bill
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWimberley View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking at F350 dually trucks and I've found that there is a huge price difference between stick and auto transmission. No that doesn't really surprise me but it has been a long time since I've pushed a clutch and I wanted to know what those of you that drive sticks think...

I'm going to be using this truck to pull a 32' flatbed gooseneck hauling 10,000 lbs loads of pipe for hot-shot deliveries. I don't know that I really want to mess with constant shifting but I'll be on the highway most of the time so it won't be all that often really... The big thing will be manuvering with the trailer in town and on delivery sites.

For those that have experience with pulling trailers and stick shift, what are your thoughts. Do you regret your choice? If you had it to do over again would you have gone with an automatic? The price difference seems to be averaging around $3,000. Would that have been worth it or are you completely happy with your decision to go stick and proud that you saved the cash?

Thanks for you input,
Joshua
Hello Joshua, I have a 99 model f350 dually with the 6 spd. I am always pulling either my 32 ft. gooseneck flatbed loaded with hay bales or heavy equipment ( 17 big round bales = 17,000 lbs or my 18,000 lb crawler dozer.) If you are going to be pulling HEAVY loads often, especially in the hot summer, and you what the peace of mind knowing that your tranny will stand up to the demands placed on it. Do Your Own Shifting!! I had 2 automatic superdutys shut me down hundreds of miles from home because of tranny problems. I service and take care of my trucks but I do use them for work. I think in larger trucks such as dump or concrete rigs they do have auto trannys designed to perform as expected. But in the smaller trucks, f250/350 with the power an torque under the hoods nowdays; if you expect them to haul and pull the heavier loads the 6 speed is the dependable answer for now. Good Luck, Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.