New Member Here, I need some advice PLEASE!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Member Here, I need some advice PLEASE!!!

Hi everyone, I am in the market for my first ever diesel pickup and I have a few questions about the ford 6.0L powerstroke. First off, this truck will only be driven about 10K to 12K miles a year. Some background about what I have looked at first. Originally I wanted a Ford with a 6.0, but after reading forums about problems with them and sub par gas mileage, compared with the 5.9L cummins, I decided on an 06 to 07 Ram 2500. Only problem with that is, I HATE the interior of the dodge. Hard seats make for uncomfortable driving on long trips. But a proven engine with good mpg sold me. I recently stumbled across a GREAT LOOKING 06 Ford 6.0 with about 80K miles. I am just really nervous to buy a truck with a history like the 6.0's. I was told that if you stick with an 06 or 07 most of the problems had been worked out by then. Also, I would love to get some realistic STOCK mpg figures, I was told the cummins 5.9 completely has the 6.0 PSD beat in that category. I dont plan on modding or programming. Basically, without trying to start a diesel war, is there any reason why I should take a hard look at the Ford over the Dodge other the the way better interior and exterior (in my opinion)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, the dodge is a decent engine wrapped in junk. The Superduty is a far superior truck in all ways except maybe fuel mileage. The 6.0 is a great engine if you take care of a couple of things Ford did wrong. Read the links in my signature for the true low down on the 6.0.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have seen many 6.0's that originally had an early strategy or were programmed back to an early strategy get just as good or better mileage than a cummins. And as stated the Ford is overall a far better quality pickup than the Dodge.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I get 14/18 MPG in my truck. Usually, it sits about in the middle at 16 because of my combined city/hwy mileage, but I'm not complaining...my previous 5.4L F150 got 12 on a good day...
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM

With the price of fuel right now, you sure you want a diesel?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well where I live Gas is only about 35 cents cheaper than diesel. Around here diesel and gas go up together. Is that different from where you are?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM

diesel likes to jump around a little more here. and like was said fix the issues then the 6.0 is a good truck. and if you get close to buying get an oasis report on if from ford.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think the 6.0 is a good engine , I was nervous about mine when I bought it but just like any truck or car you buy look at it very well . Take it to a shop to get it on a rack and have it checked out . The money spent for a quick look over can make you feel much better about your purchase or find some really expensive repairs . Read up on the 6.0 most of the issues are from not taking care of simple repairs .
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 AM

My 6.0 has 66K miles and hasn't been back to the shop for any work. It's all about maintenance with the 6.0 in my mind. The HEUI system doesn't like dirty oil and changing fuel filters are a must! Also, don't go modding the hell out of it with tuners and the stock head bolts should be fine. I want to delete my EGR, add headstuds, then put a tuner on mine in a couple of years. The 6.0 is/can be a great powerplant! Plus it's the last Ford diesel with the loud clatter that so many like. My truck get's anywhere from 16-18 MPG. Pretty good for a 3/4 ton in my opinion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.