Just bought a 99 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Just bought a 99 7.3

Hi guys new here I recently purchased a 1999 regular cab f250 7.3, the build date says 1/98 now I have been reading a lot about the 99-04 and there is a big difference its seems with the 99 model year had 3 different variations.

Is one better than another? I know turbo size GP relays and some exterior stickers differ but I am not sure what else.

The truck has 128k the previous owner used it as a weekend fun show truck. its got a 4'' lift with BDS suspension some alloys 33 inch tires big head banks waste gate MRBP 5 inch turbo back exhaust. The guy i bought it from told me he did glow plugs and turbo rebuild at 80k because the because he was anal , he was very upfront about everything he did with receipts, so I have no reason to think it was beat on and the physical condition its in speaks volumes.

My Mechanic has taken a look says its in great shape for the year, is there anything out side of a regular mechanics knowledge that you guys would suggest that I look into,

I also just replaced rear rotors and pads,flushed fluids and new filters but are there any lil powerstroke tips and tricks for this engine, I have heard they can run far into 500k miles if i take care of it right.

Last edited by westside98; 02-27-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: miss spelled poor grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

little bump here?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

This may help ya a bit.
1999 Powerstroke (early or late?)

Keep the filters and fluid changed. Many say use the Motorcraft stuff. Should keep ya going for a while.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey Westside I just bought a truck which sounds to be the same as yours. I find the more I drive it the more I like driving it!
I read somewhere that one thing to look for on a truck is the rearmost exhaust manifold bolts will pop off if the engine is overheated and then shut off immediately. I actually found a truck I was looking at and to have both sides bolt heads popped off. I said no thanks to the truck.

Good luck with yours. Mine has 194k on it now. Runs really well. After I replaced the glow plugs.

how about some pics?!?!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will try an check that out soon, hopefully i can gets some pic up for you guys, thanks kevin
Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 PM

I have a link to a series of videos on buying a PSD. I think it was worth seeing. It shows what I am talking about. I know others don't like this guy but for a newbie like me it was invaluable!

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Kevin, its funny that you sent me that, When I was originally looking into a powerstroke before the purchase I found his links on youtube and watch tons of his countless videos I think he has alot of good information and suggestions. Why do people not like him?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Thumbs up for the 7.3.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Westside- My guess is that some don't like his delivery or perhaps his "pitch" I don't have enough info to answer that intelligently. But I did find his info useful- Like I said- the first truck I looked at I checked those exhaust manifold bolts and sure enough! they were exactly as he described!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ya my bolts are ok it only has 127k for a 99 but is as 1-98 build date so i might look in to upgrading to an 03 turbo and maybe diff injectors just for a lil bump in performance, I am not trying to go ballz to the wall though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.