Tailgate swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tailgate swap

I own a 2006 F350. Car looks great, but the tailgate needs to be repainted because of a dent and some scratches, so that's why I've bought a 2008-2010 tailgate through ebay today. I'm not sure if it's possible to replace the old tailgate for the new one without purchase any other parts.
Please help me out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
You have to switch one of the latches on the truck. I forget which side it is. I think its the driver side but don't hold me to it.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here you go...

The tailgate on Cin's new truck isn't in too bad of shape...

But I much prefer the look of the 2010 tailgate and it fit without much of a hassle...

All you have to buy from Ford is this lower bracket for the drivers side that Ford calls a Roller...

Driver Side Roller Part #4L3Z83430B39AA $11.88

It's different than the earlier tailgate Rollers because these newer tailgates have a spring assist dealeo inside that makes closing the tailgate a little easier.

Since I was already at Ford I picked up a new passenger side Roller and the Insert that goes with it...

Passenger Side Roller Part #4L3Z83430B38AA $9.82
Passenger Side Insert Part #E7TZ99430B22A $8.01

Because they were bare metal I painted them to keep them from rusting...

Here is the drivers side Roller that must be replaced...

Here is the passenger side Roller I decided to replace since I'm in there anyways...

For those of you that don't know, removing the tailgate is pretty easy. On the passenger side, the Insert that is inserted into the tailgate that rides on the Roller has an opening in it...

There is also an opening in the tailgate. After unclipping the cables, just lower the tailgate until the opening on the Insert and tailgate is aligned with the Roller mounted to the bed...

Then just lift up on the passenger side of the tailgate. But be VERY CAREFUL when doing this. Once the passenger side is free, the drivers side will just fall out if you accidently pull on the tailgate towards the passenger side. These tailgates aren't super heavy. But if you are on the passenger side, and all of the sudden the drivers side falls out, there is no way you are going to be able to stop the tailgate from falling to the ground. It might be best to get some help if you are uncertain.

With the tailgate safely removed you can see the slot in the Insert and the tailgate...

Here you can see the difference between the old drivers side Roller and the new drivers side Roller...

Installing the new drivers side Roller was pretty straight forward. Just align the Roller with the marks in the paint left from the old Roller...

Since the passenger side Roller was a different shape than the old Roller, I aligned the outer circular edge of the Roller with the circular edge of the body line in the bed so the two would be concentric with each other...

Here is the slot that the new drivers side Roller has to go into...

Putting the new tailgate on was quite a chore. The new tailgate was way to heavy for me to lift on my own. So Lauren helped me lift the tailgate into place while Cindee guided the drivers side of the tailgate into place. The passenger side was just reversing the steps to remove it. Align the opening of the Insert with the passenger side Roller and drop the tailgate into place. Clip the cable on and it's all done.

Having the step built into the tailgate is pretty cool. Makes it much easier for Cindee and Lauren to climb into the bed to get whatever...

Minus the painting time the whole project only took about 15 minutes.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. You helped me a lot.

Last edited by ThA CoPyCaTę; 02-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Taadaa

Mine...
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
looks great. love the new style tailgate and the new rear bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.