Getting my first 7.3L..... Help me fix it up please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting my first 7.3L..... Help me fix it up please

Okay, to start off I am a dodge guy, hence the user name, and I dont know **** about fords engines (well the diesels). I was shopping for a F350 for a long time, with a 460, and looks like I am picking up my neighbors 1995 F250 special LB ext cab with 200k on it for $3k. Seemed decent to me on price.

So.... I dont know if or when the tranny was ever rebuilt. I plan on making it as big as I cna and still haul my horses (gooseneck)... which I figure is 6" lift on 37's. Might be lower have to play with it.

So what can I do to ive this the gidde up and go of a 460? I mean I like that its a diesel, and I have known the 7.3L to be the best of all fords, but its a slug. I am going to straight pip it and intake. I would like at least enough power to match the pick up of a gasser 460.... can this be done?

Help.... I know its mechanical injection so not sure if tuners do any good or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Don't you worry about it

A 460 is a gas motor.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
first of all the 7.3 is not mechanically injected, its direct injected with a HEUI system(you'll have to google that, CAT and International invented it) anyway.. the stock down pipe and kitty are definitely a nasty restriction, get a true 3" DP, straight pipe it, diy intake, some custom tunes and it'll wake her up a bit, if you really wanna play some injectors are gonna be needed, but yeah we can on foreverr.. anyway definitely a good deal, 200k aint nothin for a 7.3.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well that deal fell out. Ended up not wanting to sell it... looking at a new deal, yall mind giving opinions?

truck is a 1997 F350 4 door LB 6" lift (maybe 8") 37's mickey thompson wheels good shape, 192,000 miles, runs strong, dont know about the tranny yet but had to have been rebuilt by then. I can get it for $4k. I'll get a picture of it. It's an XLT. Sound good? Bad? Seems good to me..... just looking for a truck I will not loose money on when I sell it in a few years from now (at least loose money on the purchasing price).

Picture -

Thanks for any help guys appreciate it.

Last edited by Power_Cummin; 02-24-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that truck is clean! thats a steal for sure.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
that's definitel a good buy for 4k. better deal than the first if ya ask me. it was 3k and ya still had to do lift/wheels/tires. good deal man
Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Crap sorry guys thats a 460 not a powerstroke though. Came accross this one though, I'll give you the link to the ad...

F250 Diesel 4x4 cheap

Seems almost as good as the first one.... but yeah that 4 door was a 460. You think the 460 is still worth it? Tranny never rebuilt on either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.