Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying Advice. 6.0 Diesel v. V10 Help!!!!!

900 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 ·
Guys -

Here's what I have. I am looking at two separate Ford F-250 crew cab trucks and I need your help with determining which way to go.

Both trucks are 4x4 Crew Cabs. Both are XLT trim - not lariats or XL.

Here's the differences:

Truck #1 - 2005 model 6.0 Diesel with 93K miles

Truck #2 - 2006 model V10 with 70K miles

I can buy either truck for the exact same price. Carfax and Oasis are all solid and clear on both trucks.

What would you do? The truck will not be my daily driver. It will be used to pull 30' travel trailer, 20' boat, 18 foot equipment trailer (4 wheelers for play, john deere tractor) etc....I would say it will be used 5 times per month - maybe 7-10K miles a year at most, maybe less.

I am leaning towards the diesel. My thoughts are better resale, pulling efficiency, pulling power, etc....only negative is difference in mileage and cost of diesel - which is about .35 per gallon in Indianapolis.

Let me know.

Jon

See less See more
#3 ·
magicman2400 -

Thanks for the reply. This wouldn't be my first exposure to diesel trucks or diesel engines. I used to own and '01 350 w/ 7.3 in it. I also have a number of large diesel tractors. Thanks for the post anyway.

I am really looking for buying advice, not maintenance advice.

Thoughts?

Jon

#4 ·
That was your buying advice. especially with it being a 6.0 they need to be driven daily for them to be reliable. so i would get the v10 if your just looking to hop in and tow occasionally.

#6 ·
Are you guys referring to the EGR and cooler problems? The 6.0 that I was looking at has had these replaced according to Oasis. What is it specifically about the 6.0 that is such an issue? My 7.3 was used to pull race trailers and was only used 3-4 times per month and it was fine for 5+ years that I had it. Is there something different with the 6.0? I am completely ignorant to the 6.0 and its issues so fire away and let me know.

Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.