Rear Differential question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Differential question

My old 94' F-250 has a limited slip rear end. It is fantastic for plowing. I am not convinced yet that my new 99 F-350 is the same. I have not driven it enough to be certain. Does anyone know, if it turns out to be a regular differential, if I can convert it over to a limited slip with just a gear change or do I have to replace the entire unit.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2011 View Post
My old 94' F-250 has a limited slip rear end. It is fantastic for plowing. I am not convinced yet that my new 99 F-350 is the same. I have not driven it enough to be certain. Does anyone know, if it turns out to be a regular differential, if I can convert it over to a limited slip with just a gear change or do I have to replace the entire unit.

Thanks
I could be wrong, but I do believe I read the 10.25" carrier will work in the 10.5", but not the other way around. If so swap the current ring onto the other carrier, reset all clearances/lash and plow away.

If I'm wrong on this, pretend I was never here! Someone smarter will chime in shortly.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
if you have the money, put a detroit true trac in it
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke Techie

To change it over to limited slip you need to swap the center carrier for one that has the clutch packs in it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would opt for the ARB air locker or the Eaton E locker over the Detroit locker. That would allow you to turn it on an off as needed. Detroit's can be a bit of a nuisance on the street. Of course a clutch bases system like Ford's will be cheaper but doesn't lock up very well IMO.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ARB and EATON lockers are NICE but they are exspensive . I would find a factory possi ford carrier . I think they are called trac loc
Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM

I noticed in the snow that both spin fairly easily. But on dry tar I was getting into traffic and nailed it to get out of the way and I spun out on 1 tire for a while. So I am still uncertain if I have posi.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2011 View Post
I noticed in the snow that both spin fairly easily. But on dry tar I was getting into traffic and nailed it to get out of the way and I spun out on 1 tire for a while. So I am still uncertain if I have posi.
One wheel peel doesn't mean it's not a posi , could have worn cluch pack . Is there a tag on the rear end ? Otherwise pull the cover ant take a peek
Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Ok thanks I will check. umm er what would the tag say - "posi"??

And if I were to open it up (which I need to do to change the oil) what am I looking for to indicate it a posi?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well my dana80 says ls . Don't know about the Sterlings . Well it will have the have clutch packs , I can't remember if you can see them without pulling the center section now that I think of it . If I remember correctly , if it's a posi . if you spin the passenger tire forward the drivers tire will turn forward as well , an open rear end the drivers tire will spin backwards .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.