Need some help 6.0 liter PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help 6.0 liter PLEASE

I am looking at buying a 6.0 and I've heard all the horror stories about them, so I am looking at some input/opinions on a potential purchase. I'm looking at picking up the truck this Sat. and the drive will be 12 hrs round trip. Here is some info, it is a 2006 with 79k miles, FX4, Lariat, 4" lift, 35x12.5x20, and looks to be in real good shape. As soon as I purchase the truck I will be putting a Ford Extra Care Plus powerstroke warranty on the truck since the factory warranty will be out in April 2011. I had a buddy run an oasis report on the truck and the only warranty work that has been done on the truck was a fan clutch, driver's seat heater, #6 & # 7 injectors, EGR, valve cover gaskets, valve cover dummy plugs replaced, everything else was just usual maintenance stuff. Please let me know if this might be one of the "good ones", I'm just concered everybody keeps mentioning the Dodges over the F250s. The truck will mainly be used for daily driving and pulling a 23ft boat.

Thanks Dustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
The Silent Service

With the EGR being done under warranty, I'd ask to know more about what was done. Replacement of the Cooler, or the valve? If it was the cooler, see if the oil cooler was taken care of as well (The oil cooler is the reason these EGR coolers fail in the 6.0). Ask about if the gaskets where checked for being blown in regards to the EGR cooler.

I know this seams like a lot to look at. And I'm not saying its a no-sale condition, if you turn something up. The 6.0 has the power and reliability to make a great truck, you just need to know what you're getting into.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
With the EGR being done under warranty, I'd ask to know more about what was done. Replacement of the Cooler, or the valve? If it was the cooler, see if the oil cooler was taken care of as well (The oil cooler is the reason these EGR coolers fail in the 6.0). Ask about if the gaskets where checked for being blown in regards to the EGR cooler.

I know this seams like a lot to look at. And I'm not saying its a no-sale condition, if you turn something up. The 6.0 has the power and reliability to make a great truck, you just need to know what you're getting into.
The EGR was done in 2006 6 months are the truck was bought new, the valve cover gaskets were done Dec 2010 so almost 4 yrs later. I do believe that if Ford replaces the EGR cooler or valve they usually do not replace the oil cooler although most other diesel mechanic will tell you to.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
The Silent Service

Each shop may be different. I just had the EGR cooler rupture, my gaskets let go on me last month. It was due to the Oil Cooler, and both were replaced along with head gaskets. With yours being done that soon, the oil cooler probably wasn't looked at.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Each shop may be different. I just had the EGR cooler rupture, my gaskets let go on me last month. It was due to the Oil Cooler, and both were replaced along with head gaskets. With yours being done that soon, the oil cooler probably wasn't looked at.

So would the oil cooler be something that should be replaces ASAP if I buy the truck?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
The Silent Service

ASAP, maybe, and maybe not. If you can get a hold of an Edge Insight, or similar device, or have a dealership check your EOT/ECT you can make that decision. A difference of 15* between the two is a sign that cooler's is plugging up. If you come near that number, then yes I would say change it. While you're in there for that do something (upgrade / delete) to your EGR cooler. Both should always be done at the same time, due to their unique relationship in causing issues with the 6.0. At least till you get the orginal EGR cooler out of there.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So does it sound like a pretty solid truck??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.