6.0L Minor Surging/ Odd Idle Troubles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Minor Surging/ Odd Idle Troubles

I've got a 2004 F350 CC short bed SRW Lariat 4x4. 6.0L/auto, 75k miles. I noticed on a 600 mile trip the other day that while traveling at highway speed (70-75 mph) with the cruise set, it has the slightest little surge. Almost unnoticeable unless you're on a super smooth stretch of road. Then after driving down the highway for a distance, it wants to idle weird. Nothing super noticeable, but a slight irratic/hiccupy idle. The tach doesn't jump around when it's doing these things, it doesn't lope, miss, or surge. There are no lights on in the dash, nothing. I can drive it around town for awhile and it never misses a beat. But road travel brings these demons out. Talked to a Ford tech and he immediately said I've got an injector 'stumbling', but I have a hard time believing that because I can put the pedal down and it runs like a scalded dog and doesn't miss at all. He asked me how it starts in cold weather, and it does like any other 6.0L I've ever been around. Kind of cranky and clatters for about 3-4 secs, then it clears right up and idles smooth as can be. Any ideas what might be the issue? I hate to think it's a $650 injector replacement that needs to be done, rather than something small. I even considered that I might have gotten a bad batch of fuel, but I've run 4 tanks of fuel and fuel treatment through it and it still continues to do the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.