2WD verses 4WD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2WD verses 4WD

As I have been searching for my truck, I have come across another dilemma. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of having 4WD over 2WD is? I will be towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer, loaded to the max limit of approx. 7000lbs. It very rarely snows in this neck of the woods and I don't do any off-road driving. So can someone help me determine if I need a 4WD or 2WD truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondee View Post
As I have been searching for my truck, I have come across another dilemma. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of having 4WD over 2WD is? I will be towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer, loaded to the max limit of approx. 7000lbs. It very rarely snows in this neck of the woods and I don't do any off-road driving. So can someone help me determine if I need a 4WD or 2WD truck.
Well there are many ways to look at this dilemma of yours....if money is not really a factor and you like to sit high then I would lean to a 4x4. If gas is an issue and your looking for best mileage and the truck will NEVER see off-road, then I go the 2wd route. Personally I would pick a 4x4 just because of the traction advantage. I like to race the truck, haul things on and off road, and how it sits. If none of these are really a concern for you then I would save the money and go 2wd and put the money toward making the truck your own. Really I would rather have a 4x4 and not need it then need a 4x4 and not have it, also 4x4's resale for more....just my
Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rednek01 Send a message via Yahoo to rednek01
I had this same delima and ended up getting the 4WD and dont regret it at all. I actually feel like if I had gotten a 2WD I would be dissapointed. Its nice to sit a bit higher in traffic and I have already used the 4WD on several occasions where I never thought I would. If you have 4WD you will end up using it whether its to gain traction in a race or to pull a friend out or like I did to pull some trees down out of a neighbors yard Get the 4WD if you can you wont regret it!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 AM

I have to say that driving right I've gotten 22 mpg out of my 2wd on the interstae with the sruise set at 72MPH, but I do miss not being able to click over into 4wd when I need it, but I rarely ever need it
Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if youve ever driven a 2wd dually they wil get stuck in wet grass ,ive had two over the years and wouldnt get another one
Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

If you can afford it, the 4WD comes in might handy. Again, you never know when you might need it. The way I see it, is if you have a PSD, you sure don't want to be seen stuck in a small mud-hole
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM

Generally the only time mine goes offroad is when we go hunting... Even then a 2wd would generally suffice but going down washboard forest roads at 35 mph without 4wd would be downright scarry .... Of course getting back into some of the areas that we hunt would be a "no go" without 4wd....

I'll tell you what though, when we have our monsoon storms here in Arizona I could care less knowing that I have 4wd at the flick of a switch ...

Ken....
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 AM

If you have a 4X4 you can put big azz tires on it and exhaust. Then when you go out you can stomp the pedal and have your truck do all the whistlin for you.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM

I vote 4x4 for the reason that if you ever need to move that trailer on grass or gravel you might need it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok mpg, hmmm my truck 4x4 gets around 20-21 mpg in two wheel drive. When I am in 4wheel drive I get around 18 mpg. So mileage should not be a concern. 4x4 is not just for when it is snowing outside. But what if you take a vacation to lets say my house in the dead of winter. Your going to be hating life in a 2wheeldrive truck.

Trust me spend the extra dough for the four wheel peel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.