couple questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
couple questions

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here! I just want to start by saying I have always owned fords, but this is my first diesel. I just sold my 94 gasser for a 95 w a 7.3. on my drive home yesterday, I filled up before leaving (fuel up to the top of the neck), and filled up when I got home. I had driven 72 miles home averaging 65 mph, and I only had to put approx. 3 gallons in when I got home. Thats 24.33 mpg! driving around town I did the same from yest to today, and I averaged 21 mpg city. Is this common for the 7.3? I was expecting more like 17 & 20, but was truly amazed to see these numbers! This is a 95 crew cab, dual wheel, long bed with a 5 speed manual transmission. There are roughly 200,000 miles, and she sounds strong. My first question is, is this common for this body/engine config?

Also, when I was having some new tires put on her, the tire guy mentioned that the 5 speed in this truck takes auto trans fluid? Ive never heard of that, but figured I'd ask.

Last but not least, I'm in Central FL. it doesnt usually get too cold here (maybe 30-40 at night), should I plug it in at night? or should I just let it go & let the truck warm in the morning?

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate any answers you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First of all is the truck totally stock? if you drive like a granny you can get some impressive mpg. but that sounds amazing..

second yes the zf5 and zf6 both use ATF.. ha.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would plug your truck in at night too. its easier on the glow plugs in the long run, even if it'll start without bein plugged in.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as I know the truck is completely stock. It has a replacement 7.3 from a 98 though, so I cant say whether it does or doesnt have anything internal done. The only thing done to it, is the guy had put a K&N filter in it, nothing more. I am planning on doing a 4" straight exhaust, & an intake sooner or later though.

I actually took it out one more time after I posted this, just to make sure. same as before, but I did ALOT of doggin on it. spent a bunch of time in the turbo. the damage was 17.9 mpg. went 51 miles, truck took 2.8 gallons afterwards.

Maybe I'm just lucky???? I know I'm not going to complain!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

trying to calculate fuel mileage on such a short trip isn't very accurate IMHO. Run a whole tank and see what you come up with. By the way welcome to the org and congrats on the new truck
Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay diesel View Post
trying to calculate fuel mileage on such a short trip isn't very accurate IMHO. Run a whole tank and see what you come up with. By the way welcome to the org and congrats on the new truck
yeah my personal best mpg was 21 or so.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, so heres the results after the weekend. Two Tanks were put through the truck. One on highway, one in city the couple days prior. The highway mpg averaged 23.6 mpg over 249 miles, I ran between 68-70 mph the whole time. The other tank averaged 19.9 over 268 miles, and that was a mixture of city & some highways where I live. So I'm guessing from comments here & what I've read, I'm doing pretty good.

Another question I have is, if I switch from the 5 speed to the 6 speed tranny, will I have lower rpms on highway speeds & will I be able to go faster? Right now, at 70 I'm rocking 2100 rpms. I'd love to be able to do 75-80 mph on the freeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.