Pros and Cons of 7.3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Pros and Cons of 7.3?

I am in the market for a Powerstroke. I have had a 2004 F-250 with a 6.0 powerstroke motor. I sold that a while ago because I was worried about all the issues they have. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the Pros and Cons of the 7.3. I know its a better motor but I want to know what kind of issues are common with it? I am thinking about buying a 99 F-250 powerstroke. What are the recalls on it other the famous GPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont know if I would have sold your 6.0. Its probably going to cost you more money to get into a 7.3, fix any issues with it, and set up the way you want it, rather then fix anything that MAY have happened to your 6.0. Lots of guys prefer the 1999-2000 (and certian ESN 2001's) because they had forged connecting rods versus the majority of 01's and all 02-03's. Read through the forums though, 7.3's have certian oil leaks common as well as compressor surge, rattling doors on ext cabs, pinion seal leaks, transmission problems here and there, deadhead fuel rails, ect.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I can say as for the 6.0 with mine, I had nothing but problems with it. Injectors, fuel Mang. Comp. plugs, trans, etc.. have all gone bad. I bought the truck brand new and if it weren't for the Extended warranty I would have to fork out of my own pocket at least $12,000 for all the things I have replaced. The truck also had less then 70,000 miles before I sold it. Lets just say I am not impressed with 6.0.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

7.3 is a good engine.

there are some things that are common issues
  • Cam Position Sensor failure
  • Fuel Bowl heater shorts causing No Start
  • E4od/4r100 not the strongest transmissions lol
  • SD's had turbo surge, easily fixable w/ wicked wheel
  • HPOP lines leaking/blowing out
  • Poor fuel system design, resulting in cackle, fuel/oil starvation of #8 injector. not that big of a deal, can be solved with a reg return kit
  • Fuel bowl filter setup not the greatest for high HP apps, but just fine for mild mods and stock apps
  • injector/injector o ring issues. but the injectors are much more tolerant of dirt, water, and low fuel pressure than 6.0 injectors
but all in all, the engine is incredibly reliable, much easier than a 6.0 to work on, and parts are cheaper. If your goal is high HP, look at 6.0's or 6.4's. If you want a hoss of a truck that will keep on tickin with minimal worry, the 7.3 is a good choice. If it were me, id look at 2000 MY trucks.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 AM

yes 7.3 rules i have one down here in mexico and is very reliable engine and trcuk some repair need some time but nothing so bad choose a 1995 thru 2000 7.3l grat deal
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

PM me if you com across a 2001 7.3, I have The Engine Serial Numbers (ESN) for the ones with the forged connecting rods. Just an FYI, ford wanted to switch to powdered rods in 2001 and they did but they needed to deplete the stock of forged rods so certain engines came with those.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

dont. get a newer 6oh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.