Insurance/Making a claim - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Insurance/Making a claim

This is a general vent, but I also want to see if I am expecting too much (or am I getting screwed.)

So......
I've been with the same insurance company for about 18 years, haven't made a claim in about 15 years. Last week, another driver decided to end this streak by pulling out of a parking lot in front of me.

Of course I did the usual things, called the police who arrived at the scene and did the reports, and reported the accident to my insurance company.

My insurance company told me that the body shop I wanted to take my truck to wasn't on their "preferred" list. The advised me of a body shop in my area that was on their list. I visited said shop to attempt to get the ball rolling. The estimator came out to see the truck and stated that he felt the truck was unsafe to drive and that they would need start taking it apart to diagnose the full extent of the damage. I explained that it was my work vehicle, so I will require a rental such as a cargo van before I can leave this thing for him.

I drove home and called my insurance company yet again, and explained the body shop story. I received the response "You'll have to wait for the adjuster and discuss a rental with them." The next day, the adjuster called, and I had to explain what happened again, and answer even more questions. The adjuster told me that I could schedule a rental once the body shop is repairing my truck, and that it will be charged to my policy until such time as the other guy's insurance admits fault.

Does everybody go through this BS when there is a collision? I'd think that if I pay ~$2500.00 per year to insure two trucks and have a good driving record that these people would provide some service when I need it. Wouldn't that be like having a lawyer on retainer, but you have to fight your own court battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hope i can answer, i own an insurance agency. first off you did everything right when you had the accident. But your insurance agent is not allowed by law to answer your questions about your claim unless he is a licensed claim adjuster(most are not). yes i answer questions for my customers without this license but most will not. And no they will not give you a rental car until your vehicle is at the body shop getting repaired. If your insurance agent had a good relationship with a rental company then you could get a rental before hand. but seriously most insurance agents don't give a **** because they are sales agents not claim adjusters. they get paid to sell insurance and not handle claims. I like keeping my customers forever therefore i go alittle farther than most agents will. Happy customers tell their friends which makes me more money.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

I havent delt with insurance much, but if it is a shop the insurance recomends I call BS on having to tear into it for an estimate. they should be able to look at it and set a price. If they are wrong, they should contact the insurance company and say the estimate will be more and get it approved. thats just my experience with a claim I had.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Electrical Ogre

They kind of want to go in depth, since the rad support is bent and you need a crowbar to open the hood.

I'm stuck in a vicious circle, I can't take in my truck because I need it to make a living, and I can't get a rental because I can't drop off my truck
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My insurance company/agent has always been real good to me. I was in an accident a couple years back, totaled the car and had a check by the end of the week. I think the accident was on a Tuesday. I've never had to deal with rentals because I always have 2 vehicles so if one goes I just hop in the other.

I feel like you might be able to go get a rental, then have your insurance company reimburse you?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM

the last time we had any insurance work on our truck was when someone mereged into our passender door on the freeway and really screwed it up at the same time they completly pulled off there door, but the body shop our insurance company sent it to gave an estimate in about an hour (and the place was like 10 mins from our job site) once they gave the estimate the insurance comapny approved it in about a day then when we droped it off the body shop gave us there own loaner car for a few days
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM

I was just in a accident in november , where a women in a brand new hyundai decided to merge into my drivers side front fender. She ended up giving herself a pit manuever on my front bumper. the only thing that happened to my truck was that the running board got bent alittle and I had a small scratch in the moulding around the fender well of my truck. Her car on the other hand was fubar. Caved in the whole passenger side and when she slid off my bumper she went head on into a gaurd rail and taco'd her front end. She was completely at fault on the police report and she was ticketed not me. I just got the insuraunce check in the mail last tuesday. Almost three months of her ins. company jerking me around. Basically you are at there mercy and it sucks. hope everything works out for you
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Electrical Ogre

Well, Friday I finally got a call from the insurance company that they have looked at the truck, and they will be repairing it (which I hoped for, since I feel the damage is minor.)

I was advised the my "deductible will be waived, since the other party admitted fault."
What does this mean, the other guy pays my $250 deductible and my insurance pays the rest?

I was also told I have to go after the other insurance company to cover the difference in rental cost.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Depends on what kind of insurance he has...if he has liability ONLY, his insurance will be paying the full cost to repair your vehicle. His vehicle will not be repaired unless he pays out of pocket for his repairs. If he has "full" coverage, he can get his vehicle fixed, too. You can talk to the other insurance company and tell them that you have to have a van or truck due to work. Make a big deal out of it and keep escalating the situation. Insurance companies don't ever want to pay out so they'll try to make people accept less. I used to work for an insurance company and I have my insurance license and I had many friends in 3rd party claims...they never like paying out. Be a pain to an individual, if necessary, and you're likely to get what you want from that person just so they won't have to deal with you anymore.

Last edited by fordpwrstroke7; 02-05-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Glad it worked out in the states, any insurance company can not steer you to there preffered repair shop. They can offer life time on parts and labor. Or other comps but they can not tell you what shop to go to.
You are right, your insurance will pay for repairs and then subrogagte against the other insurace company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.