Are Truck Speed Limiters In Our Future? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are Truck Speed Limiters In Our Future?

Did a site search and didn't see anything mentioned. I was on "Good Sam's" (an RV site) and noticed this posting/alert. Looks like the ball is rolling downhill for big fast trucks.
From the article. >

The American Trucking Association and Road Safe America have petitioned to establish a safety standard to require Engine Control Module Speed Limiter Devices to be placed on certain heavy trucks. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration plans to initiate the rulemaking process on this issue with a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in 2012. Items specific to NHTSA’s rulemaking process include the following:

1. All newly manufactured trucks with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds shall be equipped with an electronic control module (ECM) that is capable of limiting the maximum speed of the vehicle.

2. The ECM shall be set at no more than 68 mph by the manufacturer.

3. The ECM should be tamper-resistant, and should be designed in a way that does not allow the speed limiter setting on the ECM to be adjusted to let the vehicle exceed 68 mph.

For more details about this proposed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, visit Federal Register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtcast View Post
Did a site search and didn't see anything mentioned. I was on "Good Sam's" (an RV site) and noticed this posting/alert. Looks like the ball is rolling downhill for big fast trucks.
From the article. >

The American Trucking Association and Road Safe America have petitioned to establish a safety standard to require Engine Control Module Speed Limiter Devices to be placed on certain heavy trucks. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration plans to initiate the rulemaking process on this issue with a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in 2012. Items specific to NHTSA’s rulemaking process include the following:

1. All newly manufactured trucks with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds shall be equipped with an electronic control module (ECM) that is capable of limiting the maximum speed of the vehicle.

2. The ECM shall be set at no more than 68 mph by the manufacturer.

3. The ECM should be tamper-resistant, and should be designed in a way that does not allow the speed limiter setting on the ECM to be adjusted to let the vehicle exceed 68 mph.

For more details about this proposed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, visit Federal Register.
Well that's a bunch of crap. Some states have speed limits higher than the truck can actually go. Sounds like a mess to me. It's better to just go with the flow of traffic than sit there at 55 mph creating a hazard.

I don't think that we'll see that kind of stuff on our trucks, though. 26,000 lbs is way more than any pickup.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM

All I see this doing is creating a booming market for programmers that can bypass the speed limitation.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
It will happen eventually with the current idiots in office
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM

That will cause nothing but problems. Its always the driver thats going 55 in a 65 that causes problems. People start swerving around the slow car, and having to slam on brakes
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtcast View Post
My 2007 is speed limited NOW from the factory.

The ECM defuels at 95MPH, down hill with a tail wind will not go any faster it takes fuel away and the boost drops to zero ( 0 ) !

There is some programmers that remove this but want to keep any foot prints out of my ECM till warranty has run out.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wow, welcome back, Terry!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFord View Post
The ECM defuels at 95MPH, down hill with a tail wind will not go any faster it takes fuel away and the boost drops to zero ( 0 ) !
eh your not missing anything, all it does is bounce once it is straight down. Truck will keep pulling, but speedo doesn't go any further.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM

alot of big truck companies are governed out at 65...they feel itz safety and fuel savins !!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome back Shawn.

This legislature isn't something I'd wish on any of us. I think it's definately along the current administration's lines to do something like that though. Crazier things have happened and are still happening at an alarming rate. Especially with such intellectually superior minds controlling the well-being of this country. Heck, one of them actually saved an island from "tipping over in the sea from overpopulation".

Quote:
I don't think that we'll see that kind of stuff on our trucks, though. 26,000 lbs is way more than any pickup.
I'm not sure that it was pertaining to just the truck and what it could carry or the truck and what it's capable of hauling.... ie. truck and travel trailer etc. Some references use CGVWR to represent that. Other's not.

Last edited by owtcast; 01-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.