2010 F250 Diesel Cold Weather Operation Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2010 F250 Diesel Cold Weather Operation Questions

Hello,

I am a new owner of a 2010 Diesel 6.4 Powerstroke. Currently living in Texas but I will be moving to the Chicago area. I have been told by a few that unless I plug the truck in I won't be able to start it on some of those cold winter mornings. There are times, like everyweek, that the truck will sit a few days before operating and would be coldsoaked.

So, does anyone know if you can get the truck started in the cold without heating? The best oil to run in it. Tips and Tricks. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to the Diesel community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Your truck is brand new so I'm assuming your glow plugs are functioning. It will start without plugging it in, you just have to let the plugs cycle. However, it is MUCH easier on the truck to start after it's been plugged in.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

LOL, it will start. Sunday it was -3 here and my truck started right up.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I am not kidding when I said people said I will have problems starting it. What kind of oil should I use? So just wait for the glowplug light to go out before you turn it over. thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 11:53 AM

You'll be fine. I run Rotella T 15w40 in my truck. If you don't plug it in, let it warm up a bit before you take off.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737flyerdog View Post
Hello,

I am a new owner of a 2010 Diesel 6.4 Powerstroke. Currently living in Texas but I will be moving to the Chicago area. I have been told by a few that unless I plug the truck in I won't be able to start it on some of those cold winter mornings. There are times, like everyweek, that the truck will sit a few days before operating and would be coldsoaked.

So, does anyone know if you can get the truck started in the cold without heating? The best oil to run in it. Tips and Tricks. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to the Diesel community
I live about 30-45 minutes North of Chicago and I rarely drive my truck in the winter. Back in '08 when I first moved here, my diesel gelled up on me during a few days of sub-zero temperatures. Every since I've been running this stuff every tank, year round. I never plug my truck in and it sits 3-4 days out of the week without starting. You shouldn't have any problems starting your truck unless your batteries are going bad. As far as oil, I run whatever my local Ford dealer puts in it.

[PM-23-A] Motorcraft Diesel Anti Gel and Performance Improver(PM23A)-REPLACES PM-18-A - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again for the info. Thought I was going to have to sell it for a while....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.