Block Heater Trips GFCI - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater Trips GFCI

I've got an issue with my truck and it's driving me absolutely nuts

When I plug my truck into the outlet at my apartment, it SOMETIMES trips the Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor. I don't know why it does this. I need to be able to plug my truck in because it gets pretty cold here in northeast Ohio and letting it warm up for 15 minutes doesn't really work for me when I'm going out plowing. Does anybody have any ideas as to why it would do this?

Something else I notice. I always plug the truck connector in first, then plug it into the wall. I got a pretty nasty shock once doing it the other way, so I've since then I've been plugging it into the actual outlet second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Anybody? I really need to figure this out.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I bet you got a wet plug on your block heater. With the weather we are having. I bet your plug is wet and that is why it is tripping the gfci. I would go out with a flashlight look at your plug and take a dry towel to the plug and extension cord. Dry it best you can and try it again. If that does not work then you might need to replace the cord for your block heater. Or your block heater is shorted out.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM

have you tried a new extension cord?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had the same thing happen to me tonight and also need to plow snow and dont wanna wait forever for the truck to warm up . i plugged mine into outlet first and when i went to plug it into the truck i almost s*#t myself from the shock i got . kinda funny now though . my plug on the truck and the extension cord were both full of snow . would that do it ? i thought i got it all off but apparently not
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 AM

I've tried 2 different extension cords. Same problem with both. I'd love to just rip that stupid outlet out and put a regular one in, but it's at my apartment complex so I can't really do anything about it.

I'll try taking a dry towel to it next time. Man if that's all it is I'm gonna feel so stupid
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Im not sure what the amp draw is on the block heater but it maybe border line of the gfci amp rating? Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM

Had the same problem with my 6.0

Ended up ditching the GFCI for a regular 20Amp outlet with a hinged outdoor cover.

Also got zapped unplugging it in the morning.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav52202 View Post
Im not sure what the amp draw is on the block heater but it maybe border line of the gfci amp rating? Just a thought.
No, the GFCI will either be 15A or 20A rated. The circuitry in the GFCI measures the current between the line (black) and identified/neutral (white) wires. If the two currents aren't equal, there must be current leaking to ground, which trips the GFCI. Make sure all plugs and receptacles are clean of salt and snow, check the cord at the block heater for melting or grease/oil contamination.
Use a multimeter to check for continuity/shorts between the blades and grounding pin on extension cords and block heater cord. On the block heater cord, there should only be continuity from the ground pin to the body/frame.

If you are getting "zapped" there is obviously a problem, and the GFCI is doing it's intended job by tripping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.