Bio diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bio diesel

Anyone out there running straight biodiesel or a blend? How about straight vegetable oil? Whats your opnion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Anyone out there running straight biodiesel or a blend? How about straight vegetable oil? Whats your opnion?
i would not run strait bio due to not knowing what lubricity or cetane levels are. bio is a pretty complicated mix and to run it strait i would be leary of causing injector problems......

as far as strait veggie.....to run it only....and poor it in your existing tank can cause problems. first off you have to make sure your filtering is very fine....but even then there is cold start issues......if you run a dual system with separate tanks and heated lines....start on #2 and then switch to WVO once the coolant has warmed the heated lines.....you are ok.....my girlfriends dad has been runnign strait WVO with separete fuel systems for a while with no problems....there is a lot to it and you will really need to do your research.......Marc
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just threw this out to see what other people thought. I started running Bio in my 99 about 3 years ago I bought it from a local fuel supplier its a 50% blend and is made from soybean oil. No trouble yet. I have contacted the national bio board several times getting different info when I switch farm tractors over to run this stuff. Most of it to do with replacement of the rubber parts to Viton. I have thought about making the stuff myself in the garage and they tell me it is possiabilty but would probly need to invest a couple thou in chemistry supplies.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

bio does play heck on rubber parts...but the problem is you cannnot count on it for lubricity and that can cause other parts such as injectors that rely on the fuel for lubrication to fail also......a 7.3 can run very well on a 50/50 blend from what im told...but i woulndt go any more bio than that. that is one of the benifits of WVO is it has great lubricity properties and has a very consistant flashpoint.......but it is tougher to run your truck on and to do it properly it requires basically a whole seperate fuel system between the head and the tank........Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.