Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

powerstoke swap

877 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kuti6.0 
#1 ·
Hey whats up? Im new to the forum and have some questions. I have an 86 250 with a 6.9 in it and needed to how hard it would be to swap a 97 powerstroke motor into it. It actually doesnt look that hard but I wanted some more opions. Say for instance will the tranny bolt up or will I have to use the one with the 7.3. And one more my 86 is 4x4 will the transfer case work with the 7.3's tranny if i do have to use it? Thanks alot, Greg.

#2 ·
Hey Greg! Welcome to Powerstroke.org! I wanted to say hi and bump your post to see if we could get someone to give you some answers.
I like your screen name - I sold my TJ to buy my Powerstroke but MAN I have Jeep witdrawls sometimes........can I get a PSD in a Wrangler? :D

#4 ·
I think even if the bellhousings were the same, the newer tranny/tc would be the better option. The electronics will probably be a nightmare unless you have the 97 the motor came out of on hand and a good wiring diagram. I'm not sure if the mounts are the same or not, but that's not really a hard fix with a little know how. Keep in mind if you do this swap that the Powerstroke is quite a bit heavier than the 6.9, so you may need to beef up the front springs.

#5 ·
SWEET! Marines ROCK - and my Army butt is proud to say it. :)

Yeah I've devoted most of my life to the Armed Forces - 18 years as an Army brat all over the world and joined the Army shortly out of High School.....seemed it was something I was good at (I like shooting things :p ). :D
Got my combat patch and was going to go OCS but............well Clinton and money made me go elsewhere. But I am and always will be the the most patriotic SOB on the planet - God, Guns, Guts and Glory - I don't give a dammn if you cook dinner or smoke 'em from the roof top, if you took the oath and serve this great country you rock in my book - semper fi Marine!

#6 ·
Rodslinger said:
SWEET! Marines ROCK -
but i thought the marines were over in the ladies dept. of the navy????:confused: .....they cant even figure out how to run the ship to get them where they are going....the navy has to do that for them:eek: :p :p

nah, seriously though......anyone who serves our country in any of the armed forces is a buddy of mine and if ya ever meet me in a bar you better beleave im gonna buy ya a beer....thanks for all you guys do for this awsome country we live in:beer: :woot

#7 ·
I am wondering the same thing, I have an 85 F250 with a 6.9 but mine is 2 wheel drive and is a 4 speed manual. i wanna know what it would take to swap in a 1995 7.3L powerstroke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.