Biodiesel: Ford's respnse to my ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Biodiesel: Ford's respnse to my ?

I recently wrote Ford regarding whether or not I could use biodiesel in my rig. I was curious, and wanted an official response, as I can not afford to replace my engine etc. Today, I received a response. I hope you guys find it helpful!!

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the use of biodiesel fuel.

Fuels containing no more than 5% biodiesel may be used in Ford diesel powered vehicles.
There are still some unresolved technical concerns with the use of biodiesel at concentration greater than 5%. Some of the concerns are as follows:

- Special care is required at low temperatures to avoid an excessive rise in viscosity and loss of fluidity
- Storage is a problem due to higher then normal risk of microbial contamination due to water absorption, as well as a higher rate of oxidation stability which creates insoluble gums and sediment deposits
- As it is hygroscopic, the fuel tends to have increased water content, which increases the risk of corrosion
- Biodiesel tends to cause higher engine deposit formations
- The methyl esters in biodiesel fuel may attack the seals and composite materials used in vehicle fuel systems
- It may attack certain metals such as zinc, copper based alloys, cast iron, tin, lead, cobalt, and manganese
- It is an effective solvent, and can act as a paint stripper
- It tends to loosen deposits in the bottom of fuel tanks of vehicles previously run on mineral diesel.

Should you require additional information about this matter, please contact the service department at your local Ford dealership. To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership, please visit www.genuineflmservice.com.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Maisha
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

Very interesting. I think it is cool that they wrote you back.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Smile

I do too!! I was actually quite surprised by the fact that they DID write me back!! And they responded fairly quickly!! I figured it would be helpful to any one who was curious, like me, about running biodiesel.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 AM

Kinda makes me nervous about running it. Running 5% wouldn't hardy be worth the trouble it takes to make it, I'm thinking.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well of course

ok look ppl yea bio diesel is made of three thingies (i never made it )i burn veggie straight

# 1 veggie oil .... rubber hosed can be made of natrual ( like as in pps there goes another rubber tree"
natural veggie oil can melt natrual rubbed hoses
#2 methanol alcohole melt all sort of stuff and is supposed to chemcally react so only small amount are in the system. but it melts some systhtic rubber too
#3 lye is corrosive.
I know of some older vehicals that have ran biodiesel or 1000's of miles. i have also heard of newer 2000+ that have had melted fuel lines.
personally a have all fuel lines upgraded to USCG A1 marine grade fuel line alchole and gas with a two min burn rateing.
most ford vip own oil stock. they r good ole bois worken to get our dollars
dream of free fuel and know dream can come true
ok so u replace the fuel systm no biggie .
im personally hopen my injectors clog .. so a can get the next bigger one's
but no luck
do alot of research on bio diesel its got issuses but it will be here for the next 100yrs or so but what about the dinodiesel i give it 10 yrs max then at 6.50 a gallon somthing will give the wallet or the closed mind . you will be the one to choose
Old 12-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah that's quite amazing that they wrote you back like that. I have written companies before and never have gotten a response back. I think it's rude when you put your time into something like that and it gets ignored.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

very cool that they wrote back, but 5 %...you might as well use regular fuel....i am surprised that they sadi it was ok at all though...the owners manual does very nastily state that no injector cleaners or additives sould be put in the fuel at all.

wes
Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Urbanredneck03
blend bio with regular diesel and you won't have a problem been running it for about 25,000 miles or so and have not had problem saves about $.75 a gallon and at 12 mpg and 42 gallon tank you do the math
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My son’s science experiment was based on Bio fuel using my 1994 7.3 twin fuel tank diesel. We were lucky to have the local Ford dealership sponsor his investigated work and gave us access to his head diesel mechanic (my kid is a young gear head). We ran tests on emissions during operations prior to fueling, continuing emission checks after the first tank was drained and directly after refueling, 5 times total. At the end of every tank we replaced each oil & fuel filter and cracked open the used ones. The Certified Ford mechanic worked with me and my son to review the inside of the filters for abnormalities like sediments, clogs & gelling (I thought I'd see gelling but never did). He also monitored the way the truck was running in general at that time.
We started the Biofuel process with a fresh oil change & new filters, after the first two fuel tanks were empty and ready for refueling; we replaced the filters and cut open the used ones to investigate anomalies. The first fuel filter check showed carbon type sediments. The mechanic said that the Bio fuel was like a solvent and any crap or buildup inside the fuel system would probably release, the oil filter checked out clear.
After the second check the fuel filter again had sediment of the same origin, and the oil filter had lot carbon type sediment in it as well. That was the last time we saw heavy amounts of crap in the filter. As far as how the truck ran, the mechanic said it was more responsive and even had a better natural idle, all in all he felt like nothing was in danger of failing. And we continued to tank three. The emissions were a clean as you could get, although the truck always made me hungry because it smelled like French Fries were coming from the exhaust.
The third and fourth filter checks continued to have sediments but much less with each one getting better. The fifth was the best, nothing was in the old filters just bio fuel and and some small particulates but the oil remained amazingly clean.
So at the end we got third place in the science fair but learned a lot. I’m not scared to run bio diesel now. But one thing to note is I live in California, relatively warm environment. The mechanic said on very cold mornings he recommends that I use the block heater that came with the truck but he felt confident with me continuing to run diesel. I continued to use bio diesel for the next year until I traded it in on my new truck. With the gas prices going so high I’ll probably start using 50% on my 2006 until I feel confident again.
As a note of importance; Mr. Diesel designed his engines to run on bio fuels in the beginning, and gas & oil companies inspired the change, go figure. . Check it out.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by americantruck View Post
My sonís science experiment was based on Bio fuel using my 1994 7.3 twin fuel tank diesel. We were lucky to have the local Ford dealership sponsor his investigated work and gave us access to his head diesel mechanic (my kid is a young gear head). We ran tests on emissions during operations prior to fueling, continuing emission checks after the first tank was drained and directly after refueling, 5 times total. At the end of every tank we replaced each oil & fuel filter and cracked open the used ones. The Certified Ford mechanic worked with me and my son to review the inside of the filters for abnormalities like sediments, clogs & gelling (I thought I'd see gelling but never did). He also monitored the way the truck was running in general at that time.
We started the Biofuel process with a fresh oil change & new filters, after the first two fuel tanks were empty and ready for refueling; we replaced the filters and cut open the used ones to investigate anomalies. The first fuel filter check showed carbon type sediments. The mechanic said that the Bio fuel was like a solvent and any crap or buildup inside the fuel system would probably release, the oil filter checked out clear.
After the second check the fuel filter again had sediment of the same origin, and the oil filter had lot carbon type sediment in it as well. That was the last time we saw heavy amounts of crap in the filter. As far as how the truck ran, the mechanic said it was more responsive and even had a better natural idle, all in all he felt like nothing was in danger of failing. And we continued to tank three. The emissions were a clean as you could get, although the truck always made me hungry because it smelled like French Fries were coming from the exhaust.
The third and fourth filter checks continued to have sediments but much less with each one getting better. The fifth was the best, nothing was in the old filters just bio fuel and and some small particulates but the oil remained amazingly clean.
So at the end we got third place in the science fair but learned a lot. Iím not scared to run bio diesel now. But one thing to note is I live in California, relatively warm environment. The mechanic said on very cold mornings he recommends that I use the block heater that came with the truck but he felt confident with me continuing to run diesel. I continued to use bio diesel for the next year until I traded it in on my new truck. With the gas prices going so high Iíll probably start using 50% on my 2006 until I feel confident again.
As a note of importance; Mr. Diesel designed his engines to run on bio fuels in the beginning, and gas & oil companies inspired the change, go figure. . Check it out.

Cool experiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.