Axle Ratio Question/Fuel Additive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-12-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Axle Ratio Question/Fuel Additive

New to the forum if this is posted in the wrong area please let me know and I'll move it.

I just bought a 2000 E350 Van with the Diesel (looking for 2 years for a Chateau with the diesel for the right price)

Anyway, was wondering can you tell the axle ratio (3.55 vs 4.10) from the VIN number?

Also, I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my VW TDI, do you guys use a Fuel additive? Recommendations on type?

Thanks

2000 350 Van (not a cargo...with seats)
2005 VW Passat Diesel Commuting tool
1988 Porsche 911 Weekday Bread getter
1987 Porsche 944 Turbo Weekend Deathwish
2004 Yamaha RX1 sled (no snow this year )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1rocks
New to the forum if this is posted in the wrong area please let me know and I'll move it.

I just bought a 2000 E350 Van with the Diesel (looking for 2 years for a Chateau with the diesel for the right price)

Anyway, was wondering can you tell the axle ratio (3.55 vs 4.10) from the VIN number?

Also, I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my VW TDI, do you guys use a Fuel additive? Recommendations on type?

Thanks
welcome aboad, some vech. have a tag on the diff. cover with the ratio, not sure about the vin#
as far as the fuel add. most people dont use it. unless you get some bad diesel, its probally a waste of $. i use a cetane boost cleaner once a year, i notice no difference in my mpg. best advice is to buy fuel from stations that sell alot to get fresher fuel. unless you live in a cold area (cetane boost will help alittle then) i would save teh money for fuel costs. most stations switch to #1 diesel or a blend of #1 and #2 to help with the cold weather in the winter.

what kind of mpg do you get with your vw?

brian

05 f350 crew, longbed, 4x4, 68k, lariat

post #3 of 4 Old 04-12-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

40 MPG with the VW 750 miles range per tank.

VW actually recommends fuel additive in the owners manual. Apparently they feel the lubrication for the injectors is good. I notice much less smoking on startup but not much else.

2000 350 Van (not a cargo...with seats)
2005 VW Passat Diesel Commuting tool
1988 Porsche 911 Weekday Bread getter
1987 Porsche 944 Turbo Weekend Deathwish
2004 Yamaha RX1 sled (no snow this year )
post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1rocks

Thanks
no, there is not way to tell what gear ratio your rear end has based on a letter or number in the vin......but if you look at the metal tag that is held on by one or two of the cover bolts....it will say like......3 55 or 3L 55 or something of that nature with different numbers. Most of the vans have 3.55's or 3.73's....but yours may have something different...also....if there is an L after the first number...the rear end is a limited slip......

as far as fuel additives we have seen it help greatly on some 6.0's but i have not seen the 7.3 get the noticable gains......hope this helps.......Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode