SAFE PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT - Does it exist? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Gun Nut

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
SAFE PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT - Does it exist?

Well this is the million $ question isn't it? We hear everyone using the cliché that I can't stand - "If you play, you pay" - yeah well let's look at this from a different view. IS there ANYTHING out there, that could give you a SAFE increase in HP/Torque? Let's take cost and warranty out of the question - I'm just curious if there is anything out there. We've got Banks, Diablo Sport, Bully Dog all saying how safe their chips/tuners are and we all know that's a bunch of BS.
Propane - this has my attention and from what I've read can it actually be GOOD for my motor?? Bully Dog states "This converts to one of the safest horsepower increases on the market"............really? Ok so before I run outside and yank my gas bottle out from under my grill and toss it in the truck is this true?

"Introducing LPG gas into the combustion air intake of a diesel engine acts as an accelerant, promoting the even burning of the diesel fuel, and more complete combustion, resulting in more power being produced."

Sounds like a good thing right? Banks doesn't think so....

"As for propane injection, we have some strong opinions. Peter pointed out that most propane systems inject the gas at or before the turbo inlet. Therefore you have gaseous propane in the turbo and in the inlet tract. This is a volatile fuel, and with a turbo, it's pressurized. Any sort of a spark would cause an explosion. Perhaps worse, turbo intake tracts are somewhat prone to leaks or cracks, and if you have propane leaking into your engine compartment, there's a good chance for a fire. In a regular diesel there is only air in the intake system. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.

Second, the Banks way to more power is to add more air into and out of the engine, and only then add more fuel. Propane injection is adding more fuel without more air. In fact, the propane being injected into the intake actually displaces a certain percentage of the air going into the engine. Also, many companies making these systems claim mileage improvements. Yes, you might use a little less diesel fuel, because it's being supplanted by the propane. But you've got to count the propane you're using, too. If you add them both together, you'll always be using more total fuel when the propane is injected.

My personal opinion is, why bother? It's a hassle to rig and maintain the system, and it's a real hassle to keep refilling the propane tank. And it's potentially dangerous. For regular street driving and towing, a Banks power system gives you all the power and torque you can effectively use. Believe me, I wouldn't be saying this if I hadn't had recent experience with it. Besides, you don't have to refill or maintain it. And it can't catch on fire or blow up
."

How about NOS??? Ok maybe not.

Hey I know - Water/Methanol..........Windex in my motor???? Really?

"More power for your diesel.
In diesel engines, the effect of these Snow Performance Stage-1 diesel water/methanol injection systems is threefold: 1. The intercooling effect provides more available air and all the benefits of a higher positive pressure ratio (more power-giving fuel can be utilized safely without high-combustion temperatures); 2. The combustion of water provides more power on the power stroke; 3. Methanol acts as an additional fuel for more power. These systems are designed for towing/power/cooler EGTs in under 350 hp/25 psig boost applications
."

Ok - if they say so.....

I think the majority of people aren't looking for race trucks but a SAFE extra 60-80hp and 150lb-ft of torque would be ideal.......does it exist?

Last edited by Rodslinger; 04-02-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.