oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil

i just brought a 2002 250 crew cab it has 7.3 with 60000 mile on it . i what kind of oil is best for the engine . Or is best to let the dealer change the oil in it . It aslo turn over several time before it start up is that normal. Please help .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
I would recommend the AMSOIL

http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/foru...hread.php?t=90

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/forddiesel.htm

And, in my opinion, your wasting $ to have the dealership do it. It really is a no-brainer to change the oil on your own

hope this helps! :p
Old 09-25-2005, 08:12 PM

Do you have extended drain intervales with the Amsoil? Do they have auto trans and rear end products?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:51 AM

the turnover is pretty normal, I think mine takes about three times....as far as oil...if you're comfortable doing it yourself, its always better to not use the dealer, especially because you becan use good oil...i recommend shell RotellaT, Chevron is good as well
Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 AM

Cool Oil

Thanks for the info. My wife has taken the truck to a quick lube. They do use shell products. I have all my trans parts now so I'll have the oil out. I think they say the synthetics will run cooler. The wife likes the power but I really use it.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:38 PM

If your wife likes diesel power i might recommend the VW bug, they offer a diesel option
Old 10-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I run Shell Rotella T in my 02 F250 CC 4x4. Wife just clicked past 50K on it today. A buddy of mine owns several diesel trucks and heavy equipment and he swears by Rotella. He sold off one of the trucks and last we heard it had over 350K on it and was still running strong.

Oil is the lifes blood of a Powerstroke. I have ready many articles where people have tried other oils and have had performance issues as well as a noticable change in engine sound. The Powerstroke injection system is run by the high oil pressure system due to the powerstroke valve system. There are several people running Synthetic oils but personally I would never do it in my diesel.

Also you ask about extended drain intervals. You should be changing your oil every 3 to 5K depending on your application. This is actually the best thing you can do for your engine to protect the investment you have in your rig. Also don't forget to change that Fuel filter every other oil change @ 3k or every change @ 5k.

Quote:
My wife has taken the truck to a quick lube.
That statement scares the HELL out of me as the quick lubes around here are run by high school kids and drop outs. Make damn sure they are using the right oil in you rig. Nothing destrokes a powerstroke like the wrong oil.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:24 PM

Cool oil

Well, I'm going to have to take the maintanance over again. I noticed a wear pattern in my steer tires. I was rotating them anyway but found them to be about half there recommended inflation. I guess if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I tell ya, doing it yourself is the only way to go. You learn SO much about your rig by doing it all yourself, plus the satisfaction. ESPECIALLY the oil because it's SO easy to change on these monsters it's almost funny.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Yep, I agree with changing your own oil. It is cheaper and you know what kind of job you received. Quick lubes are fine if you are watching the attendant ALL of the time. I am already finding out, however, that most people in automotive parts stores do not understand that there is a difference in oil between gas and diesel...very dangerous. As far as synthetic oil, I have sworn by it for years. I have purchased Rotella T synthetic for my next oil change. I will write in with the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.