Cummins question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins question

My friend has a Cummins and it is now blowing exhaust out of the intake. Any ideas what is wrong with the turbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

i dont know the cummins that well....but that could be a valve train problem as well as a turbo problem....just didnt want ya to rule out all possibilities.......Marc
Old 03-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro99line
My friend has a Cummins and it is now blowing exhaust out of the intake. Any ideas what is wrong with the turbo?
That doesn't sound very good How does the thing run? Does the turbo seem to be working? I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like something seized up in the turbo. Either that or there is an issue regarding the valve timing, like maybe bent intake valves?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
What year is it? Any other problems? I'll take a stab at it if ya give us some more info.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
i dont know the cummins that well....but that could be a valve train problem as well as a turbo problem....just didnt want ya to rule out all possibilities.......Marc
Hey there Marc. Haven't been on here for a while. What you said was kind of what I was thinking. Sure hope it's nothing serious
Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Banned

yea.....there are only limited possibilities....but you should know it by just sound if the turbo's leaking between the turbine seal....and it shouldnt even idle worth a dang if there is a valvetrain problem....it shouldnt be too terribly tough to fingure out.........and what was so important to keep you away from the forum :wink2:
Old 03-30-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
yea.....there are only limited possibilities....but you should know it by just sound if the turbo's leaking between the turbine seal....and it shouldnt even idle worth a dang if there is a valvetrain problem....it shouldnt be too terribly tough to fingure out.........and what was so important to keep you away from the forum :wink2:
Work, work, and more work Trying to get my truck outfitted and ready to pull campers next week, along with trying to keep up with the demands on my route delivering sodas. Man, you can run in to some and a lot of them if you want to start pulling campers for a living
Old 03-31-2006, 03:32 AM

Ok I will try to get more information from him. I remember when we tried to crank it I could feel the turbo shaft did not move and it would not crank. My friend sprayed a little ether in it and it fired up and then I felt the turbo spin. It idled horribly and was puffing grayish smoke out the intake side. It smelled very strong like diesel. He was driving down the road and the truck started running like crap from my understanding and that is when this all started. I will get more information though. Thanks.

Marc, how can you listen to know if the turbin seal is gone? I thought these had a piston ring type seal on the shaft that prety much sealed the two sides.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 AM
Banned

if the turbine seal is gone, once its running there should be a pretty noticable whoshing sound coming back into the cold air side of the turbo....it should be a pretty prominant noise as the exhaust pressure will overcome the intake pressure....if you take the air filter lid off you may even get smoke out it too......that probably wont happen if its valvetrain related...although it could......Marc
Old 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM

The truck is a 98. When they was driving it they shut it down at the Chevron and then it would not crank. They had to crank it on ether. When it idled it made a woofing sound out the exhaust and also when reving it up it made the same sound. When driving it home it poured graysih smoke out the exhaust. They got it home and shut it down but then again it would not crank without ether. The truck absolutely will not crank without ether. Once they cranked it again they seen the smoke coming out the intake side of the turbo. That is all we have right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.