Early 7.3L info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 7.3L info

hello ... I am picking up a 1994 7.4L turbo f350 tomorrow i know its alittle older than what most of you are talking about but i was wondering if you could shed some light on what is the difference between this 7.4 turbo and a " powerstroke " some have even told me mine is a powerstroke but i leave that to the experts ( you guys ) .. also anyhing i need to look at on this before calling it mine ( any weird quirks ) thanks Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoniettiMarine
hello ... I am picking up a 1994 7.4L turbo f350 tomorrow i know its alittle older than what most of you are talking about but i was wondering if you could shed some light on what is the difference between this 7.4 turbo and a " powerstroke " some have even told me mine is a powerstroke but i leave that to the experts ( you guys ) .. also anyhing i need to look at on this before calling it mine ( any weird quirks ) thanks Tony
1994 is when the 7.3 went DI....direct injection.....which is when they started calling them powerstrokes. your truck is a very good truck.....that motor if it has been well maintained....and you maintain it well....is capable of a lot of miles....many more than a gas motor.

as far as quirks.....the biggest problem ive seen with the early ones is glow plug issues.....mainly the glow plug relay but some glow plug failures as well since those motors are getting up there in age now....its just stuff that fails with time and use.....you may see some oil leaks....they are somewhat common on the 7.3......you can look in the Tech Files section for info on diagnosing and repairing problems....but all and all that is a dang good truck......Marc
Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Marc... The glow plugs and module were just replace acouple of weeks ago ...as much as i can tell it looks to be in great shape ... it has about 200k miles but with that motor that doesnt scare me...thanks tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.