one tank of off road diesel cost $50,000!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
one tank of off road diesel cost $50,000!!!

I was talking to my Snap-on man today and we got to talking about the new crappy diesel fuel. He was tell me that a dude down in Macon got caught by the DOT with one of there new fuel checking rods running off road diesel in his fuel and that the fine is $50,000 big ones. So for anybody running off road diesel out there here and there, ya know who ya are!! A $13,000 engine is not worth $50,000. Sucks to be him!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Jon

its rare

but i have heard of people getting caught.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 PM

i never in my wildest dreams imagined that the fine would be that outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! absolutely redicoulous
Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 PM
im fat and ugly

i take it it is strickly for farm equitment?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:30 PM

YES!!!!! the farmers dont have to pay taxes on it and when you buy it at the pump you dont have to pay taxes on it. and god forbide you short the government 50 cents.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 PM

If I ever find the time to finish the "Know Your Fuels" sticky I'll have a good explanation of this, but red diesel (also known as off road diesel, farm diesel, red fuel, dyed fuel, etc...) is for any application calling for #2 fuel oil that does NOT involve over the road use. This includes everything from home heating oil (yes, that tank outside your house or in your basement is full of diesel fuel-no you should not tap into it), generators, boats, farm equipment, construction equipment, and old farm trucks that never leave the property.

The fuel is dyed red to denote that it is untaxed as in the federal and state diesel fuel taxes do not apply. Red diesel tends to be on average about $0.25 per gallon cheaper than on road fuel, hence the motivation for some to use it, especially if you're using large quantities. However, if you get caught, the tax man will take it out of your you-know-what. As stroketechintraining said, its not common, but it's not all that uncommon either. Tractor trailers, tri-axles, dump trucks, etc...tend to receive more scrutiny, but diesel pickups are not immune to being "dipped."

Here in NJ I seriously doubt I'd ever be dipped at a traffic stop (maybe if I had a transport tank in the bed and I was either being a prick or the officer just wanted to be one), but it does happen a lot at equipment/livestock auctions where lots of diesel pickups are gathered in one place. I know that a couple of guys got nabbed at the state fair last summer.

That being said, the fines here in NJ are something like $1000 for a first time offense, but they go way up if you get caught again. I find it hard to believe that Georgia is levying $50K fines though-that's absolutely absurd. Most of the time the attitude of the state is just trying to recoup the taxes and teach you a lesson the first time. In a PSD, if you fill up with red diesel once, you've just evaded $10 worth of road tax, 10 fillups = $100 of road tax, etc... $50K is outrageous-I doubt that is true, though I'm sure the rumor makes people think twice.

Finally, its easy to sit there and complain about fines, the gub'ment and the "revenuers," but as far as I'm concerned, if you're not paying road tax you lose the right to b!tch about potholes, slow moving or non-existent highway improvements, and crappy roads in general. The federal highway fund does work and every cent of that tax goes to road upkeep and construction. Not paying road tax is kind of like not voting. If you're not going to do it fine, just deal with the consequences and don't complain.

Last edited by Badfish740; 03-30-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 PM

:bonk: That is one thing you do not want to do is getting caught running farm fuel in your rig.I don't think it is that much i believe it is 25k for a semi running farm fuel.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Here in texas i have been stoped and checked about a dosen time sence i have had the 6.0, about 7 months. The first time you are caught is 4,000 the second time is 11,000 third is 25K and your rig is taken and sold in a police auction. This is all comming the guys that diped my tank.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 PM

In PA., I believe the penalty is the unpaid tax back to mile 0. Plus fine.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
In PA., I believe the penalty is the unpaid tax back to mile 0. Plus fine.
That is correct! There is also a fine on top of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.