just got my first ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just got my first ford

thats right my first ford i spent 34 years as a die hard chevy man untill i started looking for a BIG truck needed a 1 ton crew cab and well in my older age the ford won out go figure. so anyway i bought a 99 F350 crew cab lariet with 194000 miles on a 7.3L it has some sort of banks kit and chip not sure whitch one. and way got it for a good deal. my problem isthe test drive went great ran flawlessly so i bought it drove home 70miles and then the trouble started sitting at a light and it just died i restarted it it ran for a bit then died again after a colorful rant i got it started pulled in to a parking lot and let it run and it ran and ran and ran. so now i'm wondering what could have caused this oh yeah on the ride home i felt 1 or 2 slite stuters almost didn't notise them. ok the other thing i noticed is when i trun the truck on, not started, i can hear what sounds like the fuel pump running for what seems like a long time 1 1/2 to 2 min befor it shuts of once i start the truck it runs non stop. ok so are these two problem related? and i was thinking fuel filter? this is my first diesel so i'm on a mission to learn as much as possible.

thank you for your time
Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First things first... change your CPS(theres a recall on it) its a 30 dollar part and it causes exactllyy what you are describing until it may leave you stranded for good. You also might want to check your fuel filter i agree.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I second the CPS.

Welcome to the board! I myself was a die hard Chevy guy as well... However when push came to shove and I needed a new/used truck, I came across my dually and a killer price tag. I couldnt say no. There was nothing wrong with it and it only had 63,000 miles. You will love it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so were do i find this cps is that the camshaft position sensor or crankshat position sensor like i said first diesel
Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so is the fuel pump thing normal. or what else should i look at
Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was a GM man for a number of years, until they started making junk. Took me ten years and three bad cars to learn that, an expensive lesson.

The last four Fords I've owned have been pretty solid. Think I'll stick with them for a while.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzydvl View Post
i think the fuel pump noise u are tryin to describe is the vaccum pump passenger fender well its usually what that is
Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Quote:
Most likely the noise is the vacuum pump. Normal. Open the hood and turn on the key . you will hear the pump running, located near the starter relay on the pass. side. Diesels don't produce their own vacuum , the pump will supply vac to a tank to be used for heater controls etc. Congrats on your new Ford Diesel , your hooked , join the org. and all your question will be answered either from members or use the search function..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
ok so were do i find this cps is that the camshaft position sensor or crankshat position sensor like i said first diesel
The Sensor is located on the front lower left of the motor. Here is a detailed link with part numbers to help ya.

How to change the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel .: Articles

Oh, and I forgot to ask... Did you buy this from a private party or a dealer? Either way, I would do a full run down inspection on it. Brakes, oil, filters, boot clamps, the whole 9 yards. I did this on my truck the day after I brought it home, and even though it came from a dealer I found loose boot connections and a gap in between my air filter. Took me a whole day to go through the truck top to bottom, end to end... but it was worth it. Plus you can get familiar with what is where. I found little things that I missed when I looked at it, but nothing major.

Best of luck man!

Last edited by BigBlueDually; 12-29-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.