7.3 stalls while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 7.3 stalls while driving

I have replaced my fuel filter thinking that was my problem but the engine stalls while driving and when i turn the key off and then re start it starts right up again and i did that all the way home. the check engine light is on now so what could all this mean some told me about the ( fuel injector timing sensor ) or the ( fuel control timing sensor )could be the source of my problem what do you guy's think your help would be much appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

CPS (CMP) is the cam position sensor........can cause random stalling.......
Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
UVC harness may be loose

I would say CPS possibly too. It can cause an intermittent problem like that, although it usually won't refire everytime. I would check the harness under the valve covers. Could be coming loose.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ford dealer is calling it a pressure control regulator, is that the same thing. and how hard is it to get the valve covers off and is it easy to see the problem and is the harness a typical problem it would seem to me that the harness problem would be more random where this problem is very consistent, I drive 5 blocks it dies start it up drive 5 blocks it dies so on and so on.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't know what pressure control regulator is?
Did they say IPR maybe? (Injection pressure regulator)

That could be it. I've never had one fail, but now that you mention it I think that going out will cause those symptoms. What code was stored in the PCM when the SES light went on?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM

I have had to replace several cam position sensors on 7.3 and 6.0 ford diesels.
They start ok, but stall, sometimes they run fine for a while and then when they get warm, they quit. Ford even had a recall on the cam sensor (at least here in Canada) maybe call your dealer and see if it is covered. I think the sensor is less than $100.00 and maybe 10 minutes to install. For the 7.3 powerstroke, the sensor is mounted on the front of the timing cover, passenger side of harmonic balancer.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stuttering, Stalling, Won't Start?

I recently had an issue that sounds like a lot of others on here. Started off running fine and while going down the road started to stutter. Over time this progressed to lack of power and speed, under loads it would stutter real bad and slowly decrease in power and speed. Acting just like a cam position sensor and/or a fuel filter these items were changed out with no luck. Finally it got to the point where the truck would start to decrease power and speed and slow to a crawl then stall and not restart. Long story short- Cleaned out the fuel pressure regulator which had debris preventing the regulator from closing all the way but the total cause for all of this trouble was a clogged fuel line from the input line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump on the frame rail. Loosening the fuel tank cap then using a screwdriver I pried up on the clear plastic retainer and pulled the input line off by hand and with an air compressor I blew out the line back into the tank. It had a little back pressure then it all came out. Truck has never run so good! If your fuel pump whines real bad or you have over 80k miles on your diesel YOU NEED TO DO THIS! There is NO filter between the tank and the frame rail fuel pump- only a course screen. The factory pump is a bosch $500 from the dealer, if you kill a pump itís most likely because of the trash in the line. Itís a good idea to clean your tank after 80k to 100k miles too, diesel is a dirty fuel.
Good Luck.....
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stuttering, Stalling, Won't Start?

I recently had an issue that sounds like a lot of others on here. Started off running fine and while going down the road started to stutter. Over time this progressed to lack of power and speed, under loads it would stutter real bad and slowly decrease in power and speed. Acting just like a cam position sensor and/or a fuel filter these items were changed out with no luck. Finally it got to the point where the truck would start to decrease power and speed and slow to a crawl then stall and not restart. Long story short- Cleaned out the fuel pressure regulator which had debris preventing the regulator from closing all the way but the total cause for all of this trouble was a clogged fuel line from the input line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump on the frame rail. Loosening the fuel tank cap then using a screwdriver I pried up on the clear plastic retainer and pulled the input line off by hand and with an air compressor I blew out the line back into the tank. It had a little back pressure then it all came out. Truck has never run so good! If your fuel pump whines real bad or you have over 80k miles on your diesel YOU NEED TO DO THIS! There is NO filter between the tank and the frame rail fuel pump- only a course screen. The factory pump is a bosch $500 from the dealer, if you kill a pump itís most likely because of the trash in the line. Itís a good idea to clean your tank after 80k to 100k miles too, diesel is a dirty fuel.
Good Luck.....
Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulliewog View Post
I have had to replace several cam position sensors on 7.3 and 6.0 ford diesels.
They start ok, but stall, sometimes they run fine for a while and then when they get warm, they quit. Ford even had a recall on the cam sensor (at least here in Canada) maybe call your dealer and see if it is covered. I think the sensor is less than $100.00 and maybe 10 minutes to install. For the 7.3 powerstroke, the sensor is mounted on the front of the timing cover, passenger side of harmonic balancer.
they were recalled here in the states to, my buddy just did one on his 02, $26 from the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.