Head gaskets and Studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head gaskets and Studs

I hear all the time on the 6.0 about upgrading to the better head gaskets and new Studs on the 6.0

is this something that needs to be looked into on a 06 model..??? with 33,000 miles
or not that much of an issue...????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It could become an issue. There's a lot of 6.0 owners who have stretched the factory head bolts and blown gaskets. Some were stock (no programmer), some were modded.

Personally, I've blown my headgaskets twice in 130k miles. First time was with the factory bolts and the second time I was running studs (which I don't think were installed correctly).

--Snake
Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How did you blow them the first time....I know of a guy here in town that has a blown one...it was due to putting the wrong anti freeze in it....
Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM

I'm sure I could attribute the first set to a programmer (SCT with a race file).

--Snake
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yep.....seems that would do it....LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
all 6.0's will blow the headgaskets in stock form, its only a matter of time. The question that should be asked is not if they will blow, but when will they blow. Every truck is different, there is no rhyme or reason when they blow, it can come from being tuned, or it can come from someone overloading it, towing too much too hard, or it can also come from poor maintenance, such as if it puke coolant, some will just add coolant and keep on rollin' which is a bad idea..if it puke there is a problem that needs to be address, continuing to drive the truck will make things worse. Also not having the proper gauges in the truck can lead to failure.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
all 6.0's will blow the headgaskets in stock form
Gee I guess I got this going for me.....whats the Avg price to upgrade one...gaskets and studs....Note I would have to take it some where to have it done....
Old 12-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1 View Post
Gee I guess I got this going for me.....whats the Avg price to upgrade one...gaskets and studs....Note I would have to take it some where to have it done....
Looking at quite a bit to buy the stuff and have it installed for you. Lets put it this way...$3,000 got me: Studs, head gaskets, intake gaskets, misc o-rings/seals, oil cooler kit, turbo drain tube, full EGR delete kit, boost relief valve, fuel filters, oil filter, glow plugs, glow plug harness, a couple of gauges to watch the additions, and a SCT LiveWire tuner.

Labor alone would be a couple thousand depending on where you take it. Im doing all mine myself in the driveway cab on. Takes a bit logner but will save some serious $$$. Im only doing it myself because Im a mechanic myself...otherwise--id be shellin out some money.

Ive got 77,000 now and havent had many problems-no tuner-drivin hard but not daily. I would say it would be in your best interest to have it done when you can...save you a big headache later.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM

I agree with the above. But I wouldn't get worked up over it. Your still under warranty.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
I agree with the above. But I wouldn't get worked up over it. Your still under warranty.
Yeah for sure dont get worked up if you have a factory warranty. Best thing to do is find a tech at a dealer and give him some cash or a buddy who has a friend at a dealer and get them to do the job under warranty but give them the studs to put in and a couple of bills for the favor. Many of my friends have done it. Im outta the warranty otherwise I would too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.