Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is a 6.7 worth the money over a 6.0 truck

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  beanoil 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to get either a 05-07 6.0 or a 12-15 6.7.This is not a "Is a 6.0 or a 6.7 better" thread as obviously the 6.7 is "better" in my opinion(I'm sure some disagree). My question is more of a "Is the the 6.7 worth the extra money". I will be using the truck mainly for commuting and during work. I am a salesmen at a building supply company so I am delivering material at least once a week to job sites which is difficult to deliver in my current BMW. I will also be towing a large car trailer every few months as well as well as tractor from time to time.

Again I think the 6.7 is a "better" truck overall I am just wondering if it's worth the extra $15k they pull over a 6.0.(10k+ for a 6.0+ modifications and 30k+ for a 6.7). I am financially able to get either truck, however the $500+ a month payment for a 6.7 is obviously almost triple what a 6.0 would be. With the release of the new 17' truck will the market for the 11'-16' fall in the next year? Also the fear in the back of my mind getting a close to 100k mile 6.7 truck, is having it blow an engine and be hit with a 15k engine repair bill vs only a 5k bill with a 6.0. I am pretty religious about maintenance and treat my vehicles better than some people treat their children, however without shelling out over 40k into a truck I am not going to get a low mile 6.7.

I understand this question is very opinion based and that is exactly what I am looking for. Just hoping to get input from anyone that has owned both, or at least driven one or the other.

See less See more
#2 ·
6.7s are nice but they are very expensive, both to buy and to repair. Everyone hates on the 6.0 but they are good motors once you fix the issues with them. Personally I drive an 6.0 because I did not want to spend so much more money on a 6.7 and plus I think 6.0s sound the best. You can buy a 6.0 and bulletproof it for a lot less than a newer 6.7. It's all a matter of preference though

#3 ·
every month i put 700.00 in my pocket
sure some months i spend some of it on repairs ( not many ) but mostly I am for profit

if I bought a 6.7 i would break even on my companies truck allowance

sure i dream about a nice new truck but then I remember the truck payment and dialing the truck to the way I want it cost and
deal with my non airconditioned seats and lesser creature comforts with a smile

#7 ·
I think the only way to reasonably answer this question is to first assume the integrity of either vehicle.
Let's say both vehicles were maintained accordingly, and that neither vehicle would give you any issues during ownership other than normal wear items.
Then, yes. The 6.7 is worth the extra money. The technology behind it, IMO, gives it that value

#8 ·
Only the OP can decide what suits him.
I had a 6.0. It was problem free for a very long time. At 9 years old and 115k, it was cracked open for the first time for an oil cooler. My deltas had begun to creep up, I wanted reliability first and foremost. I had studs, HG, cooler, BPD water pump and EGR cooler all done at the same time as well.

I found (for me) the right deal on a 2016 6.7 . I can say with confidence that not only is the motor leaps and bounds better, the whole truck evolved into something really stout, but very comfortable. Lots of creature comforts. I knew it was a winner the first time it towed travel trailer. Literally, with 10k hooked to it, it idled the camper out of storage without touching the accelerator. The integrated brake controller works very well. Compression braking and downshifting in tow mode is what the 6.0 needed to be. Just an all around better vehicle.

The 6.0 is easily cheaper, and can be made very reliable. The 6.7 just does everything better though.

#9 ·
I really appreciate the comments and I think I am going to go after a 6.7. In my opinion condition trumps mileage therefor I don't think picking up a 6.7 with 100-150k on it should cause me any worry as long as everything is has been cared for(any truck I seriously look at will be inspected at a shop prior to purchase). Just wondering if everyone agrees with this adage or if there is some reason to only look for a low mileage truck?

#10 ·
Not exactly the trucks you are. Comparing, but I think you'll get my idea.
I have a $20k 6.0 with 85k miles, solid, and bulletproofed.
I also have a $65k 6.7 cummins.
One of the trucks I have purchased 5 times, the other I won't purchase again. And I think you can guess which one is which.

The newer trucks are better trucks no doubt, but in my opinion, they don't justify themselves. I could basically give away my 6.0 to some random guy on the street, and still come out ahead of where I am with my cummins after 2.5 years and 20k miles of depreciation. The new comforts are great, but not double the price and double the depreciation and repairs great.

However, I pay my vehicle allowance, not my company lol. So if I were to be running 50k a year, and my truck basically be my office, with a $600-700 vehicle allowance. You bet I'd be enjoying the newer truck for the time spent. That time and enjoyment is worth something. Small price to pay for happiness when you are in it so often.
So 2 different aspects of looking at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
@beanoil is the only one who replied who's had both.
@kaya is a Ford diesel tech, and he said 6.7.

I switched to my 6.7 few years back and it is an excellent machine. Tows 14.5k like a rag doll. Doesn't keep me up at night. I don't have my eyes glued to the monitor everytime I'm hooked up.

The only thing I miss about my 6.0 is the sound, they do have that sound.

#12 ·
I was in an O4 for 12 years. A Duramax but the statement holds true.

The truck was falling apart around the drivetrain. A long list of "things" that did not work or did not work right.

I'd love to be in a 20k truck vs my $50k '15. But I got tired of working on in. (And I love to tinker).

So I like the new ride. Like the clean interior. Hate the payment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Either way, it's up to you to determine what's most important. Having a monthly payment or even a newer truck doesn't guarantee reliability, unfortunately, but they sure are nice! Keep us posted on what you end up with. :thumb:

#14 ·
I'd like to add that after the holiday weekend of travel, I'm getting 17 MPG consistently unloaded with the 6.7, very close to what my 6.0 gave me, and just a hair over 10 MPG with the usual accoutrement of "camping" supplies hooked to or in the bed of the truck. That's 10k of travel trailer, a scooter, wheelchair, fuel, grill, cooler, and the back seat packed with dry goods and clothes for a week. Mom and daughter up front, and our 2 dogs. The truck, as I said, just does everything better.
Yes we look like a traveling circus, but Mom loves the 6.7, especially the way the compression braking works when slowing down. No shortage of usable power, everyone arrived more relaxed. I have no regrets moving to the more modern platform. At only 5'1" tall, she feels way better in the big ride than she did in 03.

Can't really call it "camping" except for the fire at night. I guess RV'ing is a much better term.

We upgraded the s'mores this year too, using the larger, wide body marshmallows that cover a whole graham cracker. I did tell my lovely spouse that was a 6.7 marshmallow, compared to our 6.0's from last year......
https://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Jet-Puffed-SMore-Mallows-17-5/dp/B01FA108QO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_325_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PPEMTHR7PRVE7M0KYDZB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.