Anybody familiar with chevy 6.5's? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody familiar with chevy 6.5's?

A diehard chevy buddy of mine finally decided it was time to get a diesel because his 92 chevy 1500 4x4 350 5spd with real low gears has a hard time pulling his skid loader. I have tried to talk him into gettin an OBS stroker but being the bowtie guy that he is he has found a truck he thinks is going to be a better pulling machine than the OBS. It's a 98 3/4 ton chevy ext cab shortbed 4x4 with the 6.5 turbo diesel with auto tranny that has around 115k and has been owned by an elderly couple who want $7000. He was told that the entire top end was recently rebuilt. He test drove it few days ago and he said that it was definitely not the fastest thing around but overall seemed to be a solid rig.
After he gets it he's wanting me to help him do the basics to it such as CAI and exhaust. I don't know much about the old chevy diesels or if the little things that can be done to the PSD's are even possible with them. Any info and advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
seriously tell him not to waste his $$ the 6.5's are turds.. my buddy had a 97 with full exhaust, cai, and a programmer of some sorts, anyways he bought a 12v cummins stock and it spanked that modded 6.5.. hell they even come factory with no i/c.. we towed a car with it, maybe 6k lbs total with his 6.5 and he had to floor it to get it to accelerate at 65mph to pass on the highyway.. i guess the only pro is, it got good fuel economy empty..
Old 11-21-2009, 04:46 PM

I've tried to point him towards either the ford OBS 7.3 or a 12v but he's convinced that the 6.5 is what he wants which I think is due to his mindset that nothing can be better than a bowtie.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Oh god the chevy 6.5 is a worthless turd. Dont do it. Hell his 350 gasser had more power than that 6.5 does
Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 PM

at least have him look at and drive a duramax 2001
Old 11-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
at least have him look at and drive a duramax 2001
No kidding. If he's that set on a bowtie at least show him something worth buying. You can get Dmax's for less than 10k all over
Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneibling View Post
I've tried to point him towards either the ford OBS 7.3 or a 12v but he's convinced that the 6.5 is what he wants which I think is due to his mindset that nothing can be better than a bowtie.
TypicaL chev morons.. has he at least rode in ur truck for some comparison?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM

yea he has rode in it couple times...he admits that the 6.5 "isn't nearly as fast" as my OBS (which isn't fast) but then again he said "it isn't all about speed" so

I talked to him earlier and he is still pretty set on "atleast getting it and trying it out for a while".

Well after he gets it and he wants to race he can't say i didn't warn him.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:32 PM

My buddy went ahead and got that truck for $7000 and let me tell you its a turd.

Today we went to his cousin's exhaust shop and when we put it on the lift, we found several issues...the front main seal is leaking pretty badly, rear main is starting to leak, tranny mount is broke, CV Joint boots on passenger side are cracked and throwin grease, there are several pre-turbo exhaust leaks, something is screwed up with the wastegate not letting it close back to make any boost which we think is the reason that it smokes alot and is only getting 11mpg
He talked to the lil dealer where he got it and they agreed that they would get him all the needed parts but the installation was up to him.

After we got back, we went back to town in my OBS and he couldn't believe how much quicker it was compared to his 6.5. He thinks that after he gets his wastegate situation fixed that it'll run like my 7.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.