What to look for in used Powerstroke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to look for in used Powerstroke?

Hi guys,

Im looking at buying a F250 99-up diesel as my new truck. I've put 20k miles on my 03 Cobra since last April, so I think its time to get a new daily driver.... Anyways, are there certain things I need to steer clear from in buying a used powerstroke? Ive never owned a diesel, but Im aware of the upkeep needed and everything involved. I almost bought a duramax...but God save me I didnt... Anyways, any tips and help would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, does mileage really matter with a diesel? Ive seen some trucks with 100k+ for sale, but Im not sure if I should even consider. This truck will really only be used for my 60 mile daily round trip to work, and the occasional mud hole... Thanks agian!

Regards,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid04
Hi guys,

Im looking at buying a F250 99-up diesel as my new truck. I've put 20k miles on my 03 Cobra since last April, so I think its time to get a new daily driver.... Anyways, are there certain things I need to steer clear from in buying a used powerstroke? Ive never owned a diesel, but Im aware of the upkeep needed and everything involved. I almost bought a duramax...but God save me I didnt... Anyways, any tips and help would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, does mileage really matter with a diesel? Ive seen some trucks with 100k+ for sale, but Im not sure if I should even consider. This truck will really only be used for my 60 mile daily round trip to work, and the occasional mud hole... Thanks agian!

Regards,
Matt
Hi Matt. Welcome to Powerstroke.org. If you go with a 7.3L Powerstroke, which was available up to late 03, mileage really isn't an issue, providing the thing was serviced regularly. More particularly the tranny if it's an auto. Can't speak of the 6.0's for I haven't had any personal experience with them, although some guys on here have 6.0's and haven't had any trouble with them. A lot of people have had problems with that new motor. Hey Marc, how about giving Matt here a run down on some of the do's and dont's about this.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I have a truck picked out now, so I guess from what you said itd be ok. Its a 99 7.3L with the 5 speed manual. Its got 132000 miles, and its a basic model with cloth, etc. But its 4x4, and they are asking $17,900. Does that seem like a fair price? And I suppose since its a manual, that I dont have to worry about the tranny right? Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I have a truck picked out now, so I guess from what you said itd be ok. Its a 99 7.3L with the 5 speed manual. Its got 132000 miles, and its a basic model with cloth, etc. But its 4x4, and they are asking $17,900. Does that seem like a fair price? And I suppose since its a manual, that I dont have to worry about the tranny right? Thanks again.
price is a little high depending on area....here in cali that would be a bargain.....in montana where i was raised....that would be a rip off......but as long as the motor has been taken care of.....it should be a good truck. at 130k, i would service the trans (should be done every 100k on a manual) and service the t-case, as well as the rear diff......but all and all...that just puts you to knowing where it is on services, unless there are records for the truck that show you that that stuff has already been done.....then just drive her and lover her
Old 03-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

This truck will really only be used for my 60 mile daily round trip to work, and the occasional mud hole... Thanks agian!

Regards,
Matt
hello-

expect to spend a few bucks on repairs, in other words dont blow your whole budget on a truck and not have any room for repairs. in a worst case situation, even if you have to drop 2k into the truck a week after you buy one you will have the funds. chances are you wont have problems, but you never know.

i just picked up a 99 f350 cc auto 4x4 with 110k for less than $19k. truck is in mint shape and unmolested.
since december i have replaced the batterys, alt, front swaybar links.
i have spent around 300 in parts and did the work myself.

my previous truck was a f250 92 7.3l 4x4 manual ext cab. i had almost 300k on it. motor ran great, just had to replace bolt on items like steering gearbox, tierods, balljoints, rear end. i averaged about 1500/year in maint. but was cheaper than owning a new one.

ps. here is my 01, it will smoke a stock 03

Old 03-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. Im gonna head up there tomorrow to take a look at it. I'll ask to see if they have the service records, if not I'll try and get in touch with the previous owner. Hopefully they took great care of it, like I do with my vehicles. I'll let you know what I find out. Cheers.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Hey ElCid04 welcome to Powerstroke.org! Glad to have you aboard! By the way, I am selling my 99 F250. It is an Automatic, with 145K miles. The engine and tranny are flawless and work properly. You can see pictures of it in my garage on here. I have other pics if you would like to see as well. If you're interested send me a message and ask me whatever you'd like. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.