need dodge help: 24valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
need dodge help: 24valve

I need some tips from you dodge guys: my buddy has a 24 valve completely stock..

I told him to do a 5" exhaust straight and then a smarty.

Is there a better chip/programmer out there for the 24 valves than the smarty? What other mods does he need?

Just give me some input on what he should do... he was thinking an edge or a dynamite?? Is edge bad for the dodge as it is for the ford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

j/k
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
There has to be someone on here that knows. I dont want him buying anything ****ty. And i also know the 24v can be scary fast with the smarty. Any info guys?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Make sure he has a good lift pump and a fuel pressure gauge. If he still has his stock lift pump, just tell him to buy an extra VP to carry around. As far as I know, the smarty is the best choice for the 24 valves.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Emergency Services

theres another tuner i cant remember what its called, i'm more old school when it comes to cummins i like the 12v's but then again i'd rather have my international T444E any day
Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to lifted 350
Smarty is better for the 5.9 common rail's, which are 03 to 07 i believe. If it is a 6.7 I really do not know much about them sorry... Earlier 24valves, like 99 up run better off the Quadzilla programmer's then Smarty. But you are on the right track with a programmer/chip, intake and exhaust.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Emergency Services

tell him to pull the cummins out and drop a caterpillar diesel in it LOL
Old 11-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Berm Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted 350 View Post
Smarty is better for the 5.9 common rail's, which are 03 to 07 i believe. If it is a 6.7 I really do not know much about them sorry... Earlier 24valves, like 99 up run better off the Quadzilla programmer's then Smarty. But you are on the right track with a programmer/chip, intake and exhaust.
My dad has a vp44 pumped and his quadzilla works very well with that. He also has about 10k worth of other $hit but.

What year is the truck. I have learned alot about the cummins seeing as my dad, brother, and grandpa all have one
Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yeah i got on the cummins forum and found that the quadzilla is best for the 24v, but its also like 700 bucks lol.

And then the smarty is best for the common rail 5.9's....

That damn quadzilla adrenaline will put like 180hp/4xxtq to the truck.. how the hell is 400 lbs of tq ADDED to the stock numbers even possible lol??

Also whats the big difference between cummins and powerstrokes lift pumps? Why is it such a big deal on the cummins to upgrade it or stay out of the throttle?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
Also whats the big difference between cummins and powerstrokes lift pumps? Why is it such a big deal on the cummins to upgrade it or stay out of the throttle?
The injection systems between the 2 brands are completely different. On the cummins and duramax motors adding a lift pump is very important when considering making a lot of power. The injection pumps are under the hood and have to pull fuel a long way from the tank, then turn around and push it at extreme pressure to the fuel rail or injectors. A lift pump simply cuts the injection pump work load in half. Starving a VP, CP3, or even a P pump is a bad idea...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.