Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Diesel or no?

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  jpw_07 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed about a thousand times so forgive me. But I've been thinking about getting a diesel for awhile now. My f150 I have now is killing me in gas. I have to fill up 2-3 times a week consistently getting 8-10 mpg. Granted I do have a little bit of a lead foot. I don't tow that often occasionally a boat or a car hauler. But with that being said would that justify getting a powerstroke for the gas mileage? (Not that I won't enjoy the extra power) I am aware that maintenance is a bit more expensive and the diesels are usually more expensive than gassers. I usually put premium in my truck so the price difference of gas and diesel isn't a big deal. Thanks for your opinions

#4 ·
Wow... I was getting close 17-19 mpg hwy with my 2001 on 33s before I sold it. It was the 5.4 with AOD. It did not have a tuner, but I was running a Gotts Mod and FM muffler in a 1 in 2 out configuration. I also STAYED ON TOP OF IT maintenance wise. I would have kept it if my boat did not beat on it so much.

#6 ·
I would say make the switch and never look back. I had a 2013 5.0 and I loved the truck, it just never quite made me as happy as my previous diesel did. It was lifted 6" on 35's and tuned I averaged 14-15 mpgs @ 90% highway driving. My tuned/deleted 6.7 is getting around 17mpg with a 6" lift on 37's and I couldn't be happier. I mostly tow my RZR and tractor occasionally but even just the RZR dropped my mileage down to around 9-10mpg in the F150. The diesel doesn't even know it's back there. I ran premium in the gasser and always ran motorcraft synthetics and filters and honestly I'm not paying much more in maintenance with the diesel. I'd say it's around $100 more per year in maintenance costs.

#8 ·
So sorry to burst your bubble, but a diesel will never be cheaper than a gasser. I didn't say don't get one, I'm just letting you know.

Big purchase price premium.

Diesel prices are higher and the margin will only get even higher than gas. The EPA will have stricter and stricter rules on the fuel, Sulpher free fuel is coming.

15 quarts of oil + filter + fuel filter. That's 4 Gallons of oil, every 5k miles.

Parts for a diesel are a lot more expensive, especially all the go fast stuff your gonna put on it.

Not just any mechanic can work on them/understands them. Some are problem free for a long time, some are endless black holes that you can actually feel and hear the suction in your wallet. I've had both kinds...

I don't know that I would ever get a gas truck again though.

Now that your still stoked for a stroke, it's not if but, which diesel should I get?

Whats your budget? $20K? $40K? Realistically $20k+ for something that worth something imho.

Where abouts do you live? Are there emissions testing there?

What are your expectations? 20mpg and 400hp?

Reactions: ars5147
#11 ·
Switching from gas to diesel is a sure way to spend more money than sticking with a gasser. If it's purely for money, stick with the F150. If you don't mind spending more money, than go with the diesel.

I don't think a purchase for better gas mileage is good for any reason. I'm sitting an getting a FICM tune for a truck for better gas mileage because I'd need to drive the truck for two years to pay for the tune and tuner.

I have a 6.0 and I've put almost as much into it as I paid for it, but I don't mind that. With the 6.0, there's a whole list of things that could go wrong, and even cost of parts to fix those is expensive. Rumor is 7.3's don't break down, but that's not true.

I'll agree with durapig for a $20k budget, but I'd set a limit at $15k for purchase price and leave a $5k buffer for repairs. Whatever your budget leaving $5k available for at least a year is necessary IMO.

If you want to get the diesel to tow with some power, than go for it, but if you really think the diesel will be cheaper than your F150 proceed with caution.

#12 ·
What kind of gas truck is your F150? Model year, engine?

I've got a 2011 F150 Raptor, an 08 tuned and weight-reduced 6.4, and a 97 7.3.

The raptor, 6.2 gas, gets 13.5 mpg highway at 75 with 35s, tune for 93 octane from 5 Star, previously with a non premium fuel tune, it was about 10.5 mpg avg.

My 6.4 with a 6 inch lift and 37s, 14.5 mpg is the best it's ever got

My 7.3, tons of engine work, 6 inch lift, 37s, best it ever got was 17 mpg (stock engine, TS canned chip), now it's worse than 17

Diesel is no longer more expensive than premium gas here, but still it's less expensive overall to operate my F150 for daily driving. Fuel savings will never make up for the premium cost of a diesel and premium maintenance costs.

A diesel is just more fun to drive. They have more power, better drivability. You can achieve similar mileage of a stock gas truck but have a 6 inch lift and 37s on your diesel. Towing small things will make a difference with a diesel too. My side by side behind my raptor going to work, I get around 9.5 mpg, behind the 6.4, no change in normal mileage.

If you replace year model and trim F150 with the same year model and trim diesel, you won't save money. Now if you have a 2015 F150 with a huge payment and get rid of it for a $10,000 99 7.3, ya you will make out in the end in terms of money you spend to operated your truck. Be sure to compare apples to apples when making the decision.

#16 ·
A nice 7.3 of around the same year would be a nice upgrade. You'll pay for it though, up front for sure. I say go for it. Just don't expect to have more money in the long run b/c of it. You'll have more smiles per gallon though.

#22 ·
My 2003 6.0 been a great truck, brother in law had a 2006 had nothing but problem with it. He end up trading it in. My father in law has a 7.3, he's still has had a lot of problem with it. My 2000 cummins I've got more money in it then the 6.0. They all have problem

#21 ·
Good 6.0's are out there for sure, but you also run the risk of getting one that's had a real hard life. Go check out the 6.0 forums on what to look for when buying used. That being said my 7.3 has never given me any issues and will probably run forever. You can't go wrong with the no emissions and reliability of a 7.3

#24 ·
Get a 7.3 they can be hard to find in good condition but are more reliable than the 6.0,6.4, or 6.7. They still have their issues but they are much cheaper to fix and you can do the work yourself because you don't have to pull the cab to do anything. They have less power stock but that can be fixed with some mild performance upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.